Petrel 2 - OC Tec or OC Rec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the Petrel 2 and have read all available documentation on configuring and using the unit. Both user interface (OC Tec and OC Rec) are great but the OC Rec seems to have a better layout and data presentation. It also appears, that while the main screen of the OC Rec is limited to its display of Tec data, the additional Tec data can be found in the sub screens by pressing the right button.

My Tec diving is generally mild with 2 deco gasses to a max depth of 50 meters. I've moved from 30/85 GF to a more conservative 40/75-85. I think the Petrel's OC Rec mid setting is 40/75. I believe, while in water in OC Rec mode, I have the option to change the GF HI setting to a higher number (if I need to get out of the water fast).

For those of you using a Petrel 2 for Deco diving, what is your user interface preference (OC Tec or OC Rec) and why?

Trimix or not makes a lot of that decision. When not using trimex I use rec mode because I don't use trimix that often. There is not much difference between the 2 modes.

Thanks. Trimix only if 50 meters with longer BT. Air mostly with 50/100 O2 for deco.

Ive never even tried the OCRec mode I use OCTec mode for every dive.

OC Tec mode also, for every dive.  I rarely dive no-deco - unless it's a shallow skills technical training dive: and then we'd be on tables anyway.

I'm not sure why anyone doing OC Tec would opt to set into Rec mode??

Not exactly your question but I use tech mode on recreational dives because I don't dive the preset GF's

So did I untill my wife started divng and i got her a petrel and ran it in rec mode. Then i changed to be the same.

Ive never even tried the OCRec mode I use OCTec mode for every dive.

tec mode but that's because i actually use all of the stuff on my screen. Clock, PO2, gf99. I can get enough info on oc rec to be happy, but I got my computer before that mode was out, and am used to it. I quite like it, so have no real interest in trying rec nitrox

I use both. I find all the info presented in Tec mode very useful to me on tech dives, but I like the interface simplicity of Rec mode for NDL dives. The layout is easy on the eyes and the safety stop countdown feature is nice.

I only ever used OCRec mode once for an NDL dive, then sold it and bought another Predator so I don't even have the option. Personally, I don't miss it, and really if I were diving where I was using OCRec mode all the time, I'd have a different computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom