Pete's Tide Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PensacolaNewbie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yesterday was as near perfect a day as I've seen for getting to a dive site. The wx buoy said the seas were .3 feet (that's 4 inches) and it was right on the money. After a delay to retrieve a forgotten tank we departed Sherman Cove under warm, sunny skies. Before we even reached the pass we were flagged down by a sailor who ran aground in water too shallow for his 7.5 foot draft. He asked for a tow off the sand and we obliged. He kept complaining how the lateral buoys were out of place but they seemed to match our chart plotter. Finally, when he said he was off the sand we gave him back his tow line and headed out the pass in the smoothest seas I've seen in that location. As we headed out we kept looking back at our rescuee who seemed to remain where we left him (aground again?). We headed for the Russian Freighter but passed it up with two fishing boats on it and set course for Pete's Tide. We had it to ourselves the entire time. We missed it with the anchor but our #1 diver ran a reel to it. There was no current either at at surface nor at the wreck. Our tag line hung limp from an aft cleat.

As perfect as the sea state and current was, the viz was a bit of a dissappointment at about 20-25 feet. Although that's much better than many of our dives we were expecting a little better.

Our photographer had problems and we got no pictures. He didn't make the second dive. My second dive buddy called the dive while I had 10 minutes bottom time left. Used up some of my unexpended air scraping barnacles off the boat bottom.

Although the day didn't provide my fondest dive memory, the day was great and it was sure nice to get wet again. On the way in we didn't see our friend in the sailboat so I guess it got off the sand bar OK.

Sounds like a good day. At least your visibility was a little better then the last time you and I went together. Glad you were able to get out again. Thanks for the report.

Sounds like it was a very nice day. I guess my anchor dropping skills have not rubbed off on the boat :)

CMU

You're right there.:D You can't expect as much from an all male crew.

Didn't mention it earlier but one diver's computer gave out on the first dive and he didn't make the second dive.

When we started up that morning the GPS kept giving a "battery alarm" signal. Couldn't find in the book exactly what that meant. It got us through the day. I took it to George's Marine Electronics and they had to send it back to the factory for a new internal memory battery. I was told I'll get a refurbished unit back, probably with newer software and that may solve the problem of getting inaccurate tide informatiion on the tidal page. Guess I'm high and dry for the next couple of weeks.

Looking forward to the next time you can go out with us.

oh no! Really? I'm gonna be in Pensacola Fri night till thanksgiving! lol We need to find you a gps!

Got a handheld I can let you guys borrow if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom