"peta"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having had run-ins with various "animal rights" groups including PETA when we were removing feral animals (pigs and goats, not even native to North America) that were threatening dozens of native species which belonged in our island ecosystems, I feel too many in PETA are urban dwellers who haven't the slightest clue about animal interactions and natural ecosystems. Some of their positions are so naive, extreme and laughable that I find it hard to respect anyone in that organization. However, my rational mind recognizes there are folks within it who have the best of intentions but little solid understanding. I am very much against the mistreatment of animals and am in favor of quick kills when hunting (as are most real hunters). Obviously I eat them, but I try to respect their connectedness to me.

Having had run-ins with various "animal rights" groups including PETA when we were removing feral animals (pigs and goats, not even native to North America) that were threatening dozens of native species which belonged in our island ecosystems, I feel too many in PETA are urban dwellers who haven't the slightest clue about animal interactions and natural ecosystems. Some of their positions are so naive, extreme and laughable that I find it hard to respect anyone in that organization. However, my rational mind recognizes there are folks within it who have the best of intentions but little solid understanding. I am very much against the mistreatment of animals and am in favor of quick kills when hunting (as are most real hunters). Obviously I eat them, but I try to respect their connectedness to me.

Right - they don't seem to base or claim to base their "beliefs" on anything scientific or biological. Also, They claim to believe in "total animal liberation" however if that were to happen it would mean everyone would have to release their animals to roam the streets which would further destroy natural ecosystems and also cause the rapid spread of various diseases. Furthermore, If animals were given "total liberation" they would just die since most of them were born and raised in captivity they wouldn't know how to hunt and fend for themselves.

PETA is a terrorist organization, full stop, nothing more to say. They terrorized a close friend and her 12-year old daughter for no reason other than she was working in a research facility that used animals - even though she was not actually involved in the use of any animals what-so-ever. Phone calls at night, vandalism, threats against her child's life, etc, etc, etc. That's the worse case I know of personally, but over my career in the medical sciences I've met many a person who's undergone similar harassment.

PETA was caught in the past providing funds to another terrorist organization, has actively promoted vandalism, harassment and murder, and recently restructured such to protect their leadership from prosecution should "lower" members be convicted of a crime...

I cannot believe anyone's dumb enough to find value in their organization anymore, but then there is hollywood...

If you're truly worried about animal welfare, give your money/time to an organization who actually does things to improve the welfare of animals - a good example would be the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals (SPCA). Instead of relying on terrorist and criminal actions, these organizations actually do things like lobby politicians and save animals...

Bryan

Thanks for the post. Yes in general PETA has become overly extreme. While I believe most people are in favor of the "Ethical treatment of Animals", PETA has become more of a religious organization where many follow their teachings blindly not understanding PETAs true goals.

True. I believe that most people think that animals should be treated well.

However, Peta has lost sight of its cause.

One of the things that bothers me the most about PETA is the way they condemn zoos. [snip]
I welcome any and all feedback to this post.

PETA condems about anything that it can get its name in the news for. Most states have laws against harrasing hunters or fishermen because 'extremist' will harrass fishermen when they are fishing to disturb the fishing so that the fish can't be caught.

PETA is only out for itself.

Didn't some PETA employee get arrested a year or two ago for dumping dean animal carcasses in a mall parking lot trash bin? the PETA employees/group had been killing the animals. just shows they are hypocrites.

What pisses me off is when they target children

interview with a PETA freak

msnbc.com Video Player

peta-1.jpg

Like kids are scared when they see that picture. They're most likely thinking, "geez, what's that dumbass doing cleaning fish in his suit? Mom's gonna be pissed".

lol, that's what my kids would say

besides, what fisherman would clean a fish before onhooking it :shakehead:

nice lures on the hat though :wink:

If anything, that picture would be good to find out if your kid learned proper filleting technique. Now kids, what's wrong with this picture:

1) Didn't bonk fish with fish bonker (i.e. kill the damned thing)
2) Dehook the fish first (fish are prickly enough without the hook)
3) Cut spine -> belly (no need to open the gut compartment)
4) Use a proper knife (a k-bar is not an appropriate filiting knife)
5) The fish which is snagged should have been returned to the water (illegal to keep, at least where I live)
6) Never clean a fish in your suit (use mommies dress instead :evil: )

Hmm, maybe pita does have a use afterall...

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom