Pesos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My U.S. dollars were always accepted. I went to some very out of the way - non tourist places. You will usually get pesos back for change. They often apologized for giving change in pesos but we always accepted them with 'No problemo' & a smile and everyone was happy. I did have a little trouble with travelers checks. Some of the locals told me that the banks will refuse them if the signature does not match perfectly.
A night of drinking is a good example of 2 different signatures.

I think dnhill has it right. With the peso at 11.28 to the dollar a couple of days ago, most places are probably still working on 11 or even 10 for a USD. if you use an ATM you'll get pesos and you won't lose 5% or even 10% every time you pay for something, in usd. it adds up.

The dive operators want usd because they are used to a falling peso and therefore they protect their prices that way.
It's typical of any southern destination with a currency that is usually weak. Having said that, the USD has just come out of a weak period, so in some places the local currency has gone up.

I always bring back a couple of hundred Mexican Pesos so I have some for the airport taxi to downtown, some groceries or some dinner, as flights from Toronto come in at night.

Back
Top Bottom