Pesos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious if there is any need to take Peso's to Cozumel? All the dive operations seem to encourage dollars (US).

I use credit cards (AMEX) when travelling whenever possible. If I need cash in local currency, I use an ATM with my Schwab card - they pay *all* fees! I travel a reasonable amount and the Schwab account is worth it just for that. I'm sure there are other banks/brokerages that offer the same deal.

DrSteve:
Just curious if there is any need to take Peso's to Cozumel? All the dive operations seem to encourage dollars (US).

There is certainly no reason to obtain pesos in the States to take down with you. There are banks where you can cash traveler's checks into pesos, and ATM's that will give either dollars or pesos.

The dive shops, like most of the other merchants on Cozumel, cheerfully accept dollars. The exchange rate varies often, and what a restaurant will offer on a given day may not match that at a bank, but the diff won't be that much. I usually exchange some dollars for pesos at the bank and carry some of both.

Most will GLADLY accept the US dollar. With the exchange rate fluctuating daily they hang onto them and get a few extra pesos out of our dollar. Not a bad idea if you ask me.

I have found that many shops tend to exchange at less than the official rate. I usually try to exchange at least two hundred dollars to use in peso's, If I don't use them all, then there is my reason to come back to CZM.

dnhill

I took some travellers cheques to exchange for some cash if I needed it but any large purchases went on a credit card, you get a better exchange rate when you get the bill.

getwet2:
I took some travellers cheques to exchange for some cash if I needed it but any large purchases went on a credit card, you get a better exchange rate when you get the bill.

I've heard that, but I've also heard that many places on Cozumel charge a premium for using a credit card that outweighs any exchange rate advantage you might get.

ggunn:
I've heard that, but I've also heard that many places on Cozumel charge a premium for using a credit card that outweighs any exchange rate advantage you might get.
In instances when they won't barter on the price use a credit card. At other times beat them at their own game, agree on the price, if they don't like you using a credit card when it comes time to pay just say OK and start to walk away. You'll be surprised at how much of a "FRIEND" you become.

I used my credit cards with no problems (used it too much, unfortunately). Did not encounter any extra charges but shopped around the tourist areas only though. I also used the ATMs to get a large amount of pesos my first day there, remember to get as much as you can since you still get charged those ATM fees.

Make sure you have more than one card. Last Nov. we were their and our credit card company put a 24 hour hold on our card after we charge some extra dives. We had even notified them that we were going to Mexico, they said it was a check procedure if our card was stolen. Cash and several cards would be the best plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom