Perth incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[QUOvvv

What's the protocol for learning how to use a FFM? Not that there is a PADI course, but I would assume that part of being prepared would be drills swapping to an alternate without a mask. Should you also be carrying a spare mask so that you can restore proper vision?

A buddy of mine who was an instructor in both SDI and PADI developed a FFM course. Taught it as a distinctive specialty. Was trying to get it as a regular specialty but then his shop closed. I took the course for experience. We did two dives with FFM. There was some talk on shore time. Used different masks on the two dives since he had two. There were drills on swapping to an alternate without a mask during each dive. I frequently dive in a solo configuration even if not diving solo so I had a spare mask with me. Cannot remember if that was part of the course or not.

I was impressed with how much clearer and wider was the vision with the mask. But I did not like the heavier feeling of the mask on my face. Not a big thing but took away a bit of the in the now feeling.

I have instabuddied a couple of times with divers with FFM. I have noticed that they sometimes go through their air a bit faster due to some side leakage. But that may have just been that they were not fitted as well as they should be.

I will note that we have no idea how much the diver in question practiced or drilled anything. May have. May not have. What I see is that among the great wet masses very few practice anything. Just an observation. I admit that I do most of my practicing during quarry dives and never practice on ocean dives. That is for sight seeing.

I don’t see in the video, nor read in the report whether Nick, the reg donor, was also wearing FFM or not. However, having been diving for only a year, he sure have much less air consumption that Matt, the OOA guy, who have been diving for 8 years. If Nick was wearing a regular mask, that could explain the FFM tendency to consume more air.

From watching the 2nd raw video (on the bottom of the report), it shows that the FFM let some air out as they ascent, which could mean that there was something wrong with the FFM built-in reg at depth.

After seeing such accident, I’d definitely not interested in using FFM.

After seeing such accident, I’d definitely not interested in using FFM.
Interesting comment. Why? Is there something FFM specific that you feel contributed to the OOA situation?

I could understand that reduced vision after mask removal may have contributed to the panic. But training and regular drills should eliminate that issue.

From watching the 2nd raw video (on the bottom of the report), it shows that the FFM let some air out as they ascent, which could mean that there was something wrong with the FFM built-in reg at depth.
I noticed that as well but assumed it was the reg starting to free flow as he got to a shallow enough depth that the "empty" tank could now provide a few more breaths and the upside down reg started to free flow. I could be wrong as I have zero experience with sucking a tank dry.

Maybe this was just simple inattention leading to OOA?

Thoughts?

It’s bad enough to be OOA. Then being OOA & can’t see is double whammies of trouble.

Having larger sealing surface to cover create additional potential source of leakage. If the seal fails (due to crack or split or cut), then you need to use your octopus & spare mask.

I’m always leery of combining 2 perfectly good devices into one. If one of them fails, then you have to abandon both.

Another thing, average FFM user’s SAC seems to be higher than that of the conventional set up (separate mask & reg) from reading Ocean Reef gDiver vs OTS Guardian Perhaps @kelemvor can comment about his experience of using FFM after almost a year of using it.

There is a post mentioning about the need to breathe deeply to insure that you don’t accumulate CO2 in headspace.

Another point is about DSMB. You can’t blow it up with your mouth or with your reg, while underwater any more. You need to use your octopus if you have an open bottom DSMB or if you have a closed bottom DSMB with nozzle, you need a dedicated air gun that can blow air into the DSMB nozzle.

Last edited:
What's the protocol for learning how to use a FFM?

>>>>>>>>I don't think you'd call it "protocol" but for me it was PRACTICE and getting comfortable in an FFM, ideally initialy in very shallow water or a pool.<<<<<<<<<

I would assume that part of being prepared would be drills swapping to an alternate without a mask.

>>>>>>>If you use an FFM, then I would stronly suggest YOU should certainly practice that (especially if doing " big dives", which I realise means different things to different people).<<<<<

Should you also be carrying a spare mask so that you can restore proper vision?

>>>>>>>You bet!!!!!!<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:
Two things I agree with...

1. 30 mins at 90' on a single tank is about OOA for alot of people.
2. I have a buddy who dove a FFM for a few years, and after always being the first one to call the dive, he switched back and realized it did for some reason cause him to use his air faster.

I used an OTS Guardian FFM for abo it 6 months and it was fun but my gas consumption was definitely faster than a conventional reg and mask. I never attempted to quantify it but my wife (buddy over 10 years) and I use identical gas on every dive and with the FFM I was always a few hundred psi more than her- have no idea why!
You certainly need to consider more than the typical OW redundancy and drills when using an FFM, but then most OW divers have minimal (if any real) redundancy and rarely if ever practice drills, the guy in the video talks about his own complacency and I think that sums it up.
Bottom line, the average rec/ow diver has difficulties dealing with an OOA/Major equipment failure and a FFM adds a level of complexity that could make a significant difference.

Bottom line, the average rec/ow diver has difficulties dealing with an OOA/Major equipment failure and a FFM adds a level of complexity that could make a significant difference.

Well said!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom