Personification of our gear AKA Naming it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After ClayJar put me into 'Star Trek mode' I decided to name my wing Jadzia and my plate Dax. :D

I seriously considered the implications of choosing HAL as a namesake BlueC5Kitten but decided that if Halle chooses to try and kill me I should have the presence of mind to disregard an 'unsafe' profile. What else am I going to use all that time I spent using tables for?

Besides, if I do die because I didn't use the computer between my ears, at least I'll die underwater! :eyebrow:

an·thro·po·mor·phize (nthr-p-môrfz)

To ascribe human characteristics to things not human.

Usage: Do not anthropomorphize children.

Wow, I have been guilty of naming pretty much everything I own but never considered naming my (albeit limited) collection of dive gear. Perhaps I have not been diving long enough to form any attachment to them :)

Seeing as I have Maxolotl the axolotl, Muppy the guppy and Mactus the cactus I guess I will have to go with 'Megulator the regulator' and 'Meecee the BC', and things like that. :p Though I guess my naming system will break down if I ever decide to name my mask...

After ClayJar put me into 'Star Trek mode' I decided to name my wing Jadzia and my plate Dax. :D
If you get a very small wing for tropical diving, would that be Ezri? I imagine a big doubles wing would be Kurzon. :D

(Hopefully you'll never have a Joran wing. :eek:)

Seeing as I have Maxolotl the axolotl, Muppy the guppy and Mactus the cactus I guess I will have to go with 'Megulator the regulator' and 'Meecee the BC', and things like that. :p Though I guess my naming system will break down if I ever decide to name my mask...
Nah, it'll work as long as you're familiar with the "glottal stop". Just name it "M'Ask the Mask". It's a bit of a kludge, but it's no more so than the starts-with-a-vowel rule invoked for Maxolotl. :biggrin:

(Hopefully you'll never have a Joran wing. :eek:)

Then I'll have to worry about both my computer AND my wing killing me! :peepwalla:

I guess that would make it a bungee'd wing then. :rofl3:

I wondered for awhile if naming things is a girl thing...

I had a 63 cu.ft. aluminum tank that was named Jacques (as in Jacques Cousteau, of course!). The best was when my dive buddy (a guy) would also refer to it by name.

I figured naming a wetsuit was kinda creepy (in a second skin, Venom vs. Spiderman sense), but now I refer to my drysuit fondly as 'Suit'. As in 'Oh, Suit, I'm sorry I haven't lubed you lately'.... or 'Oh Suit, I'm sorry your days are numbered and one day I'll dive a Fusion'...

As for motorcycle gear, my helmet is named 'Hugo', although a name never really came to me for the bike. I refer to it as 'he' or 'she', depending on my mood... it's usually a boy. Now that I think about it, I also refer to it fondly as 'Bike'. I'm not terribly creative, I'm afraid!

And I think that's pretty much it. I'm a little surprised, honestly, that I haven't named my computer yet. hmmmm.....

Well I have decided to take your advice Clayjar and I now have M'Ask the Mask... :p Might leave naming the rest though!

You must get a cool computer name Michelle :14: I called my computer Momputer for a while but found it too clunky, so have gone with 'Bojangles' at work. Pretty much everyone has named their computers at my work and they include Optimus Prime, Trogdor, Vader, Bluepill, Thunderbird, Ethics Gradient and SpiderPig. I work in IT and we are all nerds... :dork2:

Eh, the only thing I own that I have named is my sexy 2002 Subaru WRX, and I named her "Puma" because...well, she looks like a puma. :)

I don't think I'd ever name dive gear, because I usually give a lady's name to something I own, and women keep screwing me over so I think it'd be bad karma to give a lady's name to a piece of life support equipment.

Although I'll probably get my arse kicked anyway over that last comment but hey we can't win them all. :D

*lightning strikes the thread*

It's alive ... its ALIIIIIVE!

*massive bouts of maniacal laughter*

Just thought I would add that I have named my Mk17/G250V Seven and my pony bottle Sea Biscuit. Sea Biscuit ... geddit?

:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom