Personalizing or customizing gear for identification - anyone do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can put initials on the bottom of fins and a mark of some sort on the front of your reg 2nd stage........

Just as a tip, marking with a phone number is much better than initials if you accidentally lose your gear. When I find gear at the bottom of the ocean it makes me laugh when it has initials because they do nobody any good. If it has your phone number, you will get a nice phone call. Mark with a phone number!

I've found that the most easily visible thing underwater are fins. Find fins with really distinctive markings and you will be pretty much set.

When we first started diving we marked all of our gear for Id purposes. The marks all wore off. We never lost anything, so have not bothered trying to mark gear since. Most of it is now so old / unique that it can not get mixed up on a boat.

For underwater diver identification we have distinctive fins and wet suits. And they are not black. Since we get custom wetsuits made we can have any color (or color combos) we want. So no one else has a wetsuit that looks like either of us. Makes it easy to identify us underwater.

The other (bigger) benefit of custom wetsuit is that they fit properly and hence are very warm since they do not allow any water flow.

I've had a lot of fun with surfboard decals. I have hibiscus flowers on one set of fins, and I had golden octopuses on another, although they're wearing off. I have a yellow hibiscus on my light canister, too. They stick pretty darned well to surfaces that don't get abraded.

Just as a tip, marking with a phone number is much better than initials if you accidentally lose your gear. When I find gear at the bottom of the ocean it makes me laugh when it has initials because they do nobody any good. If it has your phone number, you will get a nice phone call. Mark with a phone number!

I have my inital and last name -- so i think i will add the ph# just to be safe.

Diving at the Catalina dive park last Saturday saw someone with the bottom of their fins custom painted in bright colors, could not make out the design (20 feet away) but it looked great.
I have my initials on my newish tank HP 100 as my LDS asked that I do cause she says that is what she fills the most. Other than that my stuff is easily identifiable by the fact that it is OLD (but lovingly cared for). Not much chance anybody would mistake it for theirs or want to swipe it either.

My tanks have my initials in the reflective address stickers commonly found at Home Depot/Lowes/etc (some form of marking requested by the shop I get most of my fills from), my can light has smaller similar stickers, my wetsuit has a large initial of my last name on the inside chest, my dive computer has my name and email on the boot screen, my booties have my last name on the inside, my weights (last initial) and weightbelt (last name) are marked, too.

Back
Top Bottom