Personal Survival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarinersSchool

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to exploring Personal Survival skills necessary to stay alive in the event of an emergency at sea.

Surviving a crisis at sea depends on knowledge, teamwork and equipment. While equipment is vital, even the best gear is only as good as the people using it. That makes knowledge and teamwork the critical factors in survival at sea.

Knowledge helps eliminate the mistakes in judgment that may spell the difference between life and death. Knowledge supports the will to survive, and strong will is a primary difference between those who make it and those who don't.

Training, drilling and assessment operations are designed to ensure that you know how to use your vessels safety and survival equipment properly, and are capable of functioning as an effective member of an emergency team.

These operations are conducted for your benefit and the benefit of your crewmates. Their lives may depend on your decisions.

If you work on a large fishing or merchant vessel or dive boat your emergency duties are identified on the Station Bills posted in prominent public spaces aboard the vessel, and on the Station Card posted in your stateroom. Study these documents as soon as you join the vessel. Ask your supervisor to explain anything you don't understand.

The Station Bill establishes the chain of command that will be followed during a crisis, and assigns each crewmember a station and a job.

If you are on a smaller boat or charter vessel it is important to discuss the chain of command and emergency procedure aboard your vessel with passengers and crew prior to ever leaving the docks.

Survival is a team effort, and every member of the team plays a role in the outcome of the emergency response.

The skipper will rely on the assumption that you know your station and your job when emergency alarms are sounded. Don't let them down!

Your vessel's Safety Plan identifies the location of its safety and survival equipment. Shortly after boarding, you will receive familiarization training designed to acquaint you with the vessel and its safety program.

Ring buoys and water lights are positioned around the deck where they can be deployed immediately if someone falls overboard.

Emergency communication signaling equipment is positioned on the bridge. Fire fighting equipment should be situated in the engine room, galley, and berthing areas.

Depending on the type and size of your vessel it may be required to carry a compliment of survival craft that could include an inflatable life raft, lifeboat, or fast rescue craft.

Additional survival equipment ranges from Search and Rescue Transponders and Emergency Radio Indicating Radio Beacons to pyrotechnic signals and thermal protective aids.

The operator of the vessel has to ensure that the right gear is aboard and that it is properly stowed and serviced. The crew needs to know how to use this gear.

Installing, inspecting and servicing equipment are tasks which must occur before the vessel leaves the dock.

A crew that has not prepared in advance will probably make avoidable mistakes in a real emergency...

I would like to point out that it somehow seems odd to me that people leave their vessels to go scuba diving and leave all of their "survival equipment" behind. I'm aware that in some locations, this doesn't usually present a hazard, but for some of the dives we do here (Canadian North Atlantic), you could find yourself on your way to Ireland if you aren't careful.

If I'm diving off-shore, I carry a personal survival kit with me (designed to keep me alive and responsive for 48 hours). This doesn't seem like long, but it should be all that's required for SAR to respond. In any case, that's about all the time I have. A diver wearing a dry suit will not likely survive any longer than 2 days in the local water temperature (30-36 degrees).

My kit includes: sufficient water, energy bars, a personal EPIRB (which transmits Sat location as well as a VHF emergency signal), a laser signal light and a ACR Firefly strobe light. This is sealed in a pressure resistant container. I also carry a 10' surface marker buoy (DSMB). BTW, I'm an ex-Navy diving officer, commercial diver and military land/sea survival instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom