Personal Locator beacon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recognizing my contributions to the other thread on this mentioned above, I'll say that I've used an ACR ResQ Link for diving (and hiking) based on my wife's concerns for becoming "lost at sea" while diving in Bonaire. I had DUI make me a canister using one of their heated suit battery canisters with a blank top and it's served me well on my trips. It is a bit bulky (the canister), but it holds a mylar blanket, a couple of granola bars, and the PLB, along with my credit card and car keys for when we dive Bonaire. It just attaches to my tank band and a safety band to my tank valve. YMMV.

I use a smoke grenade vacuum packed and stored in a BCD pocket.
The day we tested it we had boats coming from miles around and the VHF was full of boaters wanting to know what it was. Last time we ordered some they were $12.99 each plus shipping.

I had Light Monkey make me a canister. It currently has and ACR ResQ Link, strobe, die pack, mirror, whistle, and enough lead to make it just about neutral in salt water. It is rather large, but I wanted something good to >300'. I carry it like a dry suit inflation bottle.

My wife has a SPOT beacon that we have a 100' case bought off Amazon for. It fits in her BC pocket and we have had it just over 100' with no issues. The case is just big enough to put a small zip lock of sand in with the beacon to make it neutral. We use the SPOT beacon regularly for other wilderness activities, as it has the "I'm OK" tracking feature.

My mom just used to ring a big cowbell out the back door. I still get the sweats whenever I hear one. Which, living in NYC, thankfully just doesn't ever happen.

I got light monkey to machine the canisters for me and my wife. We have the acr plb1. Canister is a bit bulky but we stuff other things on there.

I am considering getting the Nautilus for a liveaboard. Wondering about flooding now, and if I need to invest in a canister for it.

I am considering getting the Nautilus for a liveaboard. Wondering about flooding now, and if I need to invest in a canister for it.
We have the current (non-VHF) Nautilus and it doesn't require any additional cannister for diving within recreational limits.

We have the current (non-VHF) Nautilus and it doesn't require any additional cannister for diving within recreational limits.
Nor did the previous version.

Just get the warranty, and stay on top of the o-ring. Gotcha.

Thank you both.

I have the current ACR ResQlink View PLB in a Custom Divers' canister. I liked the feature set/power/duration of the PLB. And the canister is well made and sized to fit up to the current generation ACR PLBs.
PLB DIVE CANISTER (NOV2016) INC BELT MOUNT - DIVING CANISTER

The canister price ends up being hard to beat unless you find something to repurpose, like @Dan did with a camera case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom