Pernicious Pop up ad Pests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am still getting the "congratulations google user" that Francesea reported originally.

I have cleared the cache multiple times and must keep Java disabled

It seems to be getting so bad, I can’t hardly get enough time to read a post before it pops up on my iPhone.

This issue is related to abuses by developers that found a hole in JS, not sure if that’s what is happening or if there is something bad on ScubaBoards back end. Either way it’s pretty annoying.

Quite possibly and likely an issue with iOS as well, I’d be interested to know if anyone with an android phone is experiencing it.

I suspect it has something to do with one or more of the ads that are being delivered by the site. I installed AdBlock on my iOS iPad and with no ads being displayed, I have not seen any Pop-Ups. If I turn off AdBlocker and ads start being delivered, it does not take long before the Pop-Ups return.

I honestly prefer not to disable the ads as that is revenue generation for ScubaBoard, but one or more of the adds being served seem to cause the problem. No Ads...no Pop-Ups.

If someone actually offered 1,000 bucks to whoever squelches that google pop up, i bet it would be eliminated tomorrow before tea time.

If someone actually offered 1,000 bucks to whoever squelches that google pop up, i bet it would be eliminated tomorrow before tea time.
You probably think people can stop junk mail too.

You probably think people can stop junk mail too.

I have faith that all these pesky peddlers will be CRUSHED!!! And then five minutes after that a new scam will pop up.
But on the bright side, we never get religious evangelical doorbell ringers anymore, so some things do get better.

Not solved still happening. Alot.

It does seem to be related to the ads but not specific ones as far as I can tell.

I'm on iOS using Chrome and it happens so frequently that the site is basically unusable.

Man, I haven't seen a pop up ad in 2 years. Firefox on a mac with Adblock.
I also haven't seen Bloomberg or Forbes, and I have subscriptions to both. But even with a subscription, they want me to see the ads...

Right. I don't have ad problems on my desktop. And don't normally on my phone.

This isn't an "ad" that someone is serving up on purpose.

This is more like malware that is redirecting to "you win" type of BS.

Back
Top Bottom