Pericarditis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My kid was diagnosed about a month ago with pericarditis.....she is doing a lot better now. Doc's have ok'ed her to return to exercise routine 'as tolerated' upon discharge from hospital (3 weeks ago). She has been exercising, but not aggressively as she is not 100%.
As a diver, she is hoping to get a few dives in on her spring break next week. Dad in me sez...dunno about that. I have searched for related info, but found nothing really.
Any input would be appreciated.

I'd listen to the Dad in you... if she isn't 100% now she probably won't be in a week. Does she have any other health problems? Any idea what caused it?

Best regards,
DDM

DDM, thanks for the response.
No other health issues. The good thing about this experience is that she was thoroughly checked for other issues.
I believe this was viral...only NSAIDs were prescribed, which she is off of now [per script]

Ah, that's good news. I'd recommend that she take the time to get back to 100% - ventricular volumes increase with immersion so there's a risk of aggravating a healing pericardium.

Best regards,
DDM

DDM: Do ventricular volumes increase due to immersion independent of exertion? Or, is exertion correlated with immersion -- and exertion is the root cause? If an individual with pericarditis tolerates exercise (of relevant duration and intensity) well, would you still suggest that they refrain from diving?

DDM: Do ventricular volumes increase due to immersion independent of exertion? Or, is exertion correlated with immersion -- and exertion is the root cause? If an individual with pericarditis tolerates exercise (of relevant duration and intensity) well, would you still suggest that they refrain from diving?

The effect of gravity on blood volume is essentially negated during immersion, so 600 or so cc of blood gets shifted into the core of the body, which increases preload even at rest. Exercise would also tend to increase preload.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for the help!

Now, I gotta call and tell her... [sadface.jpg]

Sorry! I guess the silver lining is that she is recovering.

Best regards,
DDM

The most recent (2015) European guidelines on the management of pericarditis advocate limiting exercise until resolution of inflammatory markers (CRP) and symptoms, and no physical activity beyond normal sedentary living until then for non-athletes. Professional athletes are advised to refrain from training for a full three months, which used to be the recommendation for everyone.

The specific recommendation will depend on your daighter's specific medical situation, and her doctor is the one who should be able to advise best. Given she still isn't 100%, I would err on the side of caution.

(For the record, I am an MD. But I am not her MD, so the above is purely informational)

Hi
(For the record, I am an MD. But I am not her MD, so the above is purely informational)

This is one of the best features of Scuba Board. Professionals with specific knowledge, willing to share that knowledge so everyone is wiser!

Back
Top Bottom