Perforated ear drum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctormike,

Thanks for the insights.

My tympanoplasty is decidedly thinner and more delicate. I don't like to get it wet, though 40 years of aversion therapy has something to do with this.

Yup! When you put a fascia graft in to repair a tympanic membrane perforation, the graft actually gets resorbed by the body. It just acts as a scaffolding for the regrowth of new eardrum.

Update: I had my appt this past Tuesday to get referred to an ENT. My primary care doctor took a look at it with his otoscope and said it looked completely closed. He could tell where the perforation was, but said it looked closed up. I asked him about when I'd be able to dive again and he said that he would defer to the ENT as he really didn't know enough to give me an educated answer.

One thing I asked him was whether the healed area was any more susceptible to being re-perforated. He said, to his knowledge, the healed tissue is no different than it was pre-perforation. In other words, I'm not any more or or less susceptible to re-perforating it.

If I read Dr. Mike's post correctly, this is essentially what he said. True?

Also, if this perforation did occur because of my jump from the rocks (and not because of equalizing or while diving), this makes me feel a little better that my ears are not per se "not good for diving". Is that an accurate interpretation???

Last edited:
Today (8/21) I saw an ENT. He confirmed that the eardrum was “100% healed” and looked like it was actually never injured. He said he questioned whether it was perforated in the first place, but I showed him photos I took and he then agreed that it was previously perforated.

He does not know much (if anything) about diving and when I queried him about whether I could dive again, he said “yes, but you should know that since this happened once, you are now more susceptible to it occurring again in the future.” He explained that the eardrum tissue is made up of three layers and two of the three layers heal after a perforation, but the third does not, which makes me more susceptible.

He did say, however, that because the perforation was so tiny and healed so quickly, it made it less likely it would occur again (solely from the standpoint it occurring again due to a previous perf).

I asked him when I could dive again and he didn't really know. He said "it's 100% healed, but I would still wait another month or two before diving again."

I am thankful I got good news, but I wish I would have been able to see an ENT with dive experience and knowledge.

I'm confused that it's 100% back to normal, but I should still wait another month or two. I am fine with that, but if it's 100% back to normal, what's the purpose in waiting? In other words, if there's still healing or strengthening that will take place, it isn't 100% yet, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom