Peregrine NDL Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So ... I went into the System Setup mode and found where I can change it from Nitrox to Guage or something else or Air and I changed it to Air. At that point it is permanently set at 21% and I no longer have a menu to change my gas from air to nitrox! So if I want to be able to change my gas from air to nitrox without going into System Setup, I guess I leave it on Nitrox so I still have access to the Gas menu. It will stay on Nitrox, even when diving 21%.

I'm finding out some interesting things along the way. I appreciate all the input and help.

Correct. Even if you just occasionally dive Nitrox, no need to ever put it in Air mode. Just set your mix to 21%.

R was showing 5 minutes NDL and he was diving DSAT. I think conservatism was on, but I'll have to double check.

Thanks!
Oceanic has 4 levels of conservatism. From most liberal to most conservative, DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservatism, PZ+ with conservatism. DSAT with conservatism would be much more conservative than 40/85, something more like a GF high of 75. I assume he was diving DSAT.

I would imagine your experience was a function of how Buhlmann runs at shallow depths and repetitive dives.

I am hoping I hear from Shearwater (next week?) and will have a final answer to the mystery. :)

I highly doubt this answers your question, but I noticed that your firmware version is v81; Peregrine is now at v84.

Any response from Shearwater yet?

The algorithm Suunto uses tends to get more conservative as the dive count racks up. Especially if the surface interval may have been less than Suunto wishes
Perhaps on the lower end basic RGBM computers which no doubt have some head room for beginners built it

However for the Eon I can categorically tell you this isn't the case as I made a series of 44 repetitive dives, including some deco and a couple on scooters with shall we say, dodgy dive profiles, and it's NDL was always the same as my Perdix - both set to lowest conservatism setting

Best not to make sweeping statements

I highly doubt this answers your question, but I noticed that your firmware version is v81; Peregrine is now at v84.

Any response from Shearwater yet?
No response, and I keep forgetting to follow up.

Thanks for the heads up re the firmware. I’ll take a look at installing it.

Thanks for the heads up re the firmware. I’ll take a look at installing it
No problema! Let me know how the upgrade goes. When I recently received my Peregrine I got an "Upgrade Failed" message. I believe it was because my computer was already on v84. Shearwater's response was to wait until v85 and try again.

Love the computer tho. Took it on its maiden voyage to Cozumel this past week and it worked great. I was also at NDL99 for most of my diving, but I was diving EAN32 with reasonable profiles.

1662570112546.png

3 dives back to back with a 1hr internal and you're getting out of the water ~54%. 10ft/min ascent rates and 30ft/min descent rates.

I also dive the peregrine. As far as I can tell it always matches Subsurface when I program the same gradient factors.
No response, and I keep forgetting to follow up.
Unless I missed something, I don't see that there is much for shearwater to say since their equipment appears to be working as expected based on the people that have plugged the approximate dive profile into subsurface. Seems like it would be more interesting to ask the other dive computer manufacturers how they calculate their NDL since most don't actually tell you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom