Perdix AI w/buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimlikethefish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Had a thought this morning, wanted to see what others have done....

Has anyone ever run their perdix with ai on their buddies tank? I would assume as long as you maintained a close distance it would stay connected. This way in a team dive you would be able to see their pressure at all times. Obviously you would rely on your own spg for your gas.

The inverse, my thought this morning, would be to run transmitter 1 as your pressure and set transmitter 2 to their pressure. I thought of this as a benefit to an instructor with an open water student. You would be able to know how fast they are sucking down air. But I guess it could be used in other various ways. Such has monitoring a team for turn pressure....

So has anyone experimented with the above? If so, what are your thoughts? Obviously the main issue is maintaining a distance that would keep the connection. But all of this was just an idea, maybe this weekend I will grab my brother and test it all out in various configurations.

It has been discussed here, before. I don't think the close distance that would be required makes it feasible.

Plus, there are other benefits to asking your buddy what their pressure is versus monitoring them on your own computer.

I agree with the benefits of communication between yourself and your buddy. This was just an idea I had while driving to work this morning. What kind of distance has to be maintained for the connection? I've never tested this as my bottles are always connected to me and within 2 feet of the computer. Here in New England it isn't uncommon for me to maintain a 6ft or less distance to my buddy. Anything further than that and you lose sight of them up here, I wish we had 60 to 100ft Vis like down south.

When I have my transmitter pointing out to the right and I wear my computer on my left wrist, I can very occasionally get signal dropouts. It reconnects as soon as I hold my computer up in front of my face, but I can still catch a glimpse of it that it has lost connection as I am moving my computer up to look at it.

I think it's a combo of distance and having my tank and body somewhat between the transmitter and the computer. So, range might be further if the computer were off to the side, but on the same side as the transmitter. Regardless, I wouldn't bother trying to monitor my buddy's tank pressure on my own computer. I've got 2 computers that could do that - one of which I have had for going on 3 years - and I have never even had an interest in trying to do that. I would rather signal my buddy and ask. That way, not only do I know their pressure, I know that they know their pressure, too.

That way, not only do I know their pressure, I know that they know their pressure, too.

I would also say it does two other things - it shows you they are actively aware and in the dive as a buddy, as well as allows them to become self reliant and not dependent on a buddy to monitor what is essentially their most important responsibility - gas consumption and reserves.

I tried it, didn't work very well. You get an error that if I recall requires that you acknowledge as it blocks the other data on the lower have of the screen

I tried it, didn't work very well. You get an error that if I recall requires that you acknowledge as it blocks the other data on the lower have of the screen

I get a message like that if my tank pressure goes to 0 - e.g. when I do a valve shutdown drill on my doubles and I shut down and then breathe down the post that has a transmitter on it. That transmitter detects 0 for the tank pressure and the Perdix shows a message that I have to press a button to acknowledge and clear.

But, I have used my Perdix AI where it is set for 2 transmitters (for sidemount), but I was actually diving single tank, so it was only picking up 1 transmitter. I don't recall ever having the kind of message you're describing just from not being able to pick up the other transmitter. It just shows "no comms" in place of T2, I think.

Back
Top Bottom