Perdix AI and bluetooth...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are very sorry you are having so much difficulty connecting to your Perdix AI.
Dear Shearwater Cloud,

Many thanks for your reply. I know I'm sounding a bit harsh in this thread, but understandably I am somewhat disappointed by the amount of trouble considering this is a top-tier product. Just to clarify, I am also extremely excited about "getting it wet" for the first time this weekend as by all accounts the Perdix really is a most outstanding dive computer.

I'm also very keen to try to explore this issue and provide Shearwater with as much information as possible in order to work on possible resolutions. Unfortunately I'm also very busy in my day job presently but I'm planning to capture detailed bluetooth logs and further technical information to forward on.

In the meantime, this thread was mostly to see if other people had similar issues and/or actual workable solutions. Given the feedback so far, it seems that while it's not isolated, it's also not an endemic issue. My DM (who also has a Perdix) said he has zero issues, but firstly he has an older Perdix (not AI) so his device may not have the "Bluetooth LE" stack, and secondly he's using Apple products to connect with.

One thing is that your newer computers seem to be "dual stack" - implementing both Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE in the one device, and there are indications that the two implementations may be clashing to some extent. Perhaps adding an advanced option in the next firmware to force one or the other might go some way to resolving issues for customers? (ie "Bluetooth Setting" - "Auto", "Classic", "LE")? Ditto in "Shearwater Cloud", perhaps an option forcing it to only scan for one or the other type of Bluetooth device might help with connectivity issues?

Wbr,
- Micha.

So, first weekend done, 5 dives, very happy with the computer! Can actually see the display fairly clearly generally (buggered IT eyes) and it's a joy in dim places (went to a site with many swim-throughs and caverns). Primary data clearly and logically laid out and quick and easy to access secondary information. Compass seems a bit "twitchy" compared to a physical one so not sure I'd rely on it as my primary compass.

Currently in "OC Rec" mode on mostly default settings and "Medium" conservatism (45/85). First dive it is much more conservative than my old Suunto, especially beyond ~20m. But on repetitive dives, the Suunto is much more conservative. Third (and final) dive of the day the Suunto still had 7min of deco when I surfaced (it was NOT happy, although an hour later it would've let me dive again) whereas the Perdix never went below 10min NDL and I surfaced with a GF of ~71%.
</OT>

Back on topic, still hassles downloading data; "Shearwater Cloud" on my Note4 phone does download, but only 1 dive at a time (timing out error in-between) and does take some cajoling to get even that. Subsurface just flatly refuses to download on the phone but I appreciate that's not a Shearwater-supported configuration.

Some progress at home though: I did finally manage to download the dives to Subsurface using Linux on my home PC using the built-in bluetooth. The final trick was to turn off my phone's bluetooth, and to pair _and_ connect to the Perdix using the OS (running Debian Buster with KDE) before trying the download in Subsurface. I'll see how reliable this is moving forward, just putting it out here for now in case it's useful for someone else.

Since I had already managed to get the dives into Shearwater Cloud I have not yet tried to download the dives again using Shearwater software on my home PC. I'll try that later this week as I get some spare time.

So, first weekend done, 5 dives, very happy with the computer! Can actually see the display fairly clearly generally (buggered IT eyes) and it's a joy in dim places (went to a site with many swim-throughs and caverns). Primary data clearly and logically laid out and quick and easy to access secondary information. Compass seems a bit "twitchy" compared to a physical one so not sure I'd rely on it as my primary compass.

Currently in "OC Rec" mode on mostly default settings and "Medium" conservatism (45/85). First dive it is much more conservative than my old Suunto, especially beyond ~20m. But on repetitive dives, the Suunto is much more conservative. Third (and final) dive of the day the Suunto still had 7min of deco when I surfaced (it was NOT happy, although an hour later it would've let me dive again) whereas the Perdix never went below 10min NDL and I surfaced with a GF of ~71%.
</OT>

Back on topic, still hassles downloading data; "Shearwater Cloud" on my Note4 phone does download, but only 1 dive at a time (timing out error in-between) and does take some cajoling to get even that. Subsurface just flatly refuses to download on the phone but I appreciate that's not a Shearwater-supported configuration.

Some progress at home though: I did finally manage to download the dives to Subsurface using Linux on my home PC using the built-in bluetooth. The final trick was to turn off my phone's bluetooth, and to pair _and_ connect to the Perdix using the OS (running Debian Buster with KDE) before trying the download in Subsurface. I'll see how reliable this is moving forward, just putting it out here for now in case it's useful for someone else.

Since I had already managed to get the dives into Shearwater Cloud I have not yet tried to download the dives again using Shearwater software on my home PC. I'll try that later this week as I get some spare time.
You may find that the Perdix works better with MacDive. Maybe not? That's my experience anyway.

You may find that the Perdix works better with MacDive. Maybe not? That's my experience anyway.
As I pointed out a few posts above, instead of buying a new personal computer, I'd instead buy a different dive computer. Slightly ludicrous to suggest that after buying a USD1000 device I should buy a USD1000 PC (or however much Mac's run at these days) just to download data from it!
Devices need to be compatible with computers, not the other way around! (Well, more correctly all things need to adhere to the published standards so interoperability should be a given..)

Anyway, things are looking up. Even if it takes a few special steps, as long as it's stable I'll be happy enough. Just shouldn't have needed this much effort!

I'm in complete agreement with @mwerle

The bluetooth interface on the Shearwater is plagues with issues, and frankly it's inexcusable

I can buy a cheap $50 pair of say bluetooth headphones, and they will easily connect without faff to my Window 7, Window 10, Macbook, and iOS devices. Done.

Yet my $1000 Dive comp, not so much

If I wish to (and its rare because I use my Eon as my prime computer from which my dives are downloaded) In order to get the dives on my PC, which although is Win 7 is an extreme spec, I must download to Cloud via iPad or phone, and then sync down to PC.

It's just nuts.

I find it flawless, never had a single issue but I just let it work without trying to be in some sort of control over it doing things the way I think they should work.

My Perdix doesn’t play well with my MacBook Air. However, doesn’t really matter. I keep logs on my phone (synced to iCloud with MacDive). I just primarily use the Shearwater app for software updates.

Update: Got a new Android tablet (unrelated purchase; Huawei M5 Pro), and the Perdix AI worked fine with it and Subsurface-mobile last weekend. Although had to apply previous lessons learned: pair the Perdix with the tablet using the standard Android Bluetooth interface before syncing.

Haven't had time yet to investigate PC/phone further.

As I pointed out a few posts above, instead of buying a new personal computer, I'd instead buy a different dive computer. Slightly ludicrous to suggest that after buying a USD1000 device I should buy a USD1000 PC (or however much Mac's run at these days) just to download data from it!
Devices need to be compatible with computers, not the other way around! (Well, more correctly all things need to adhere to the published standards so interoperability should be a given..)

Anyway, things are looking up. Even if it takes a few special steps, as long as it's stable I'll be happy enough. Just shouldn't have needed this much effort!

MacDive can apparently run on iOS

I understand your point that a dive computer should work with any computer though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom