Perdix "Adaptive" Safety Stop - What's the purpose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Change your safety stop mode to "clear cntr" (clear counter). Once you reach safety stop depth or clear your deco, depending on the dive, it will start to count UP and then you can do with that what you will

Change your safety stop mode to "clear cntr" (clear counter). Once you reach safety stop depth or clear your deco, depending on the dive, it will start to count UP and then you can do with that what you will

All that is in the user manual which the OP Maybe needs to download and read. Hopefully his Perdix is also firmware upgraded to the latest version as this is in V65 onwards. There was another thread where this topic was discussed but not as a stand alone subject.

I mainly do recreational diving but have my Perdix in OC Tec mode as I prefer that.

A V65 RELEASE NOTES.jpg

DECO CLEAR.jpg

Can anyone explain the point of the adaptive Safety Stop option.
Recently I had a dive to 32m for a total of 34minutes, it was a square profile wreck dive.. This was my first dive of this kind with the Perdrix.

I had an initial Deco Stop at 6m for 2 minutes followed by 3m for 3minutes stop ; my Perdrix is set to Medium conservation, so a 40/85 GF. After the mandatory Deco Stop completion the Perdrix then displayed a 5 minute Safety Stop.... o_O
Cheers

My Perdix is setup to do a 5 minute safety stop so even if I clear a deco obligation I still do a 5 minute safety stop. You can change the time and depth in settings. I like to off gas a little longer and I always tell my dive buddy or guide my safety stop is 5 minutes not 3. I once had a guide berate me for doing a 5 minute stop as he assumed I had gone into deco at some point when I hadn't. He did not know the settings I use on my dive computer.

Download the latest manual and update your firmware then read that and use the forums here. I had a lot to learn after going from Sunnto to the Perdix when I first got it V53 was the latest firmware so the DECO Clear and safety stop clear when added minutes after you finish the safety stop are added on in V65. I have seen divers look at my Perdix and wonder why I have an clock counting time after the safety stop is completed so I explain to them the feature of the Shearwater diving computers. It's all good fun learning what this Perdix software can do for you.

All that is in the user manual which the OP Maybe needs to download and read.

Unfortunately there are 2 manuals and they have differing TTS explanations.... The Tech manual says TTS does not include safety stops, this is normal because safety stops are deactivated.... The "nitrogen" manual, which should read OC REC manual, states that TTS does include all Decos + Safety stops.... Not so easy for the beginner divers to fully understand as this allows at least 2 different answers/paths... I made the mistake of reading the Tech manual first, this is not really a good idea for beginner divers...

One of the major problems, at least for me, is that I dive with others who have many thousands of dives, others who only have a hundred or so like myself and I hear different answers to the same question. Even on this thread we can see the different responses.. Some people don't bother with Safety Stops, for others it's a religion and the manual leaves you to decide for yourself.. And again the manual does not argument why one should use a particular method over another....

This is why I like SB, it allows for multiple, and more importantly many rational arguments, it helps us all to learn.

My Perdix is setup to do a 5 minute safety stop so even if I clear a deco obligation I still do a 5 minute safety stop. You can change the time and depth in settings. I like to off gas a little longer and I always tell my dive buddy or guide my safety stop is 5 minutes not 3. I once had a guide berate me for doing a 5 minute stop as he assumed I had gone into deco at some point when I hadn't. He did not know the settings I use on my dive computer.

Have you ever had anyone that did not stay with you during your Safety Stop because they wanted to immediately surface after their deco was complete ?

Have you ever had anyone that did not stay with you during your Safety Stop because they wanted to immediately surface after their deco was complete ?

Sometimes but not normally. My dive buddies do a pre dive chat and they know my safety stop is 5 minutes. If we come up directly under the boat I may signal for them to go up but my regular buddies will normally stay with me. Instabuddies I've found tend to clear deco and stay with me and not head to the surface. Maybe that's because it's discussed in the pre dive buddy checks. The other times they might surface ahead is when I give them the signal to get on the boat if we are under it as you can't have us all climb the ladder at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom