Perch Lake, N.M.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This last weekend, Greg (dr. frankenmule), one of our dive buddys (Ernie), and myself, dove Perch Lake on friday. It was my first time. There are some cool things down there, a plane, a car, some culverts, and some missle cones! I am thinking about going down there again next month to do Perch and The Hole. Has anyone dove any where else in that area? I have done the hole, every month, for the last year, and diving Perch was a big change. I am ready to explore more.
Rick

Rickster:
This last weekend, Greg (dr. frankenmule), one of our dive buddys (Ernie), and myself, dove Perch Lake on friday. It was my first time. There are some cool things down there, a plane, a car, some culverts, and some missle cones! I am thinking about going down there again next month to do Perch and The Hole. Has anyone dove any where else in that area? I have done the hole, every month, for the last year, and diving Perch was a big change. I am ready to explore more.
Rick

I'm very likely interested in doing the Hole and Perch lake in April with you all. I'll give you some better contact info so we can discuss it in a PM.

I'll participate if available! I'm Dive Conning the April-Saturday class the shop is doing and they will do their OW on April 30 and May1 so I'll be out that weekend, but will be busy. The class days are on Saturday, so if you guys are over at the hole on Sunday, let me know.

Rickster, the other interesting spot is Rock Lake. It is used for some of the deep/tech training since it's about 280 feet deep. Swan Lake is just a few yards form Rock, which used to be used for OW training (it's similar to Perch). It's on private property and the owner needs waivers and insurance from an instructor type naming her and the ranch as faultless. It is pretty intersting, with the rock formations and the small fresh water sponges. It's best dove when the algae bloom isn't going crazy like it gets during the summer.

Kevin,
I was told that Rock has gone up to $20.00 a day, is that what you have heard?
That is where our Robin is going to be taking us for Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures in May.
I read that there is a reservoir within a ten minute drive from Santa Rosa that is divable. I think it hits 90', but I can't remember. I think the Santa Rosa web page has info on it.

What about the lake just north of Perch across the street? I know it's private, but it looks like the owner lives in the mobile home next to it.

Greg

Dr. Frankenmule:
Kevin,
I was told that Rock has gone up to $20.00 a day, is that what you have heard?
That is where our Robin is going to be taking us for Advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures in May.
I read that there is a reservoir within a ten minute drive from Santa Rosa that is divable. I think it hits 90', but I can't remember. I think the Santa Rosa web page has info on it.

What about the lake just north of Perch across the street? I know it's private, but it looks like the owner lives in the mobile home next to it.

Greg
That is true! Although it was $20 each day each time I went last year, so guess it hasn't changed again.

I haven't heard anything about the small lake across the street. I know a few divers like to dive some of the other lakes around the area, Lake Huron, Lea Lake (bottomless in Roswell)

Check out Zia Divers website or NM Dive sites for some information.

I've been threatening to dive Navajo Lake for a couple of years now, but have never gotten to it. Elephant Butte and Conchas can be be pretty crappy viz, so timing is everything with those two.

If we could find a good lake that we "know" will be a good dive, I would be willing to haul my boat down to do it.

I dove Perch Lake for the first time yesterday. In fact, it is the first time I have ever seen the Lake. I had been told there is an airplane down there. We only saw a car frame that was used to anchor the dive buoys. We found a pipe section and two parts that may have come from a plane. The temperature was 49 degrees and was relatively clear. The bottom was very sensitive to silting. We saw a few small fish and one dead trout.

Can you give more details about Rock Lake?

ddavies:
I dove Perch Lake for the first time yesterday. In fact, it is the first time I have ever seen the Lake. I had been told there is an airplane down there. We only saw a car frame that was used to anchor the dive buoys. We found a pipe section and two parts that may have come from a plane. The temperature was 49 degrees and was relatively clear. The bottom was very sensitive to silting. We saw a few small fish and one dead trout.

Can you give more details about Rock Lake?

ddavies,
As you stand on the dock, the 4 bouys to the right are the car, and the single bouy to the left, is the plane. The two parts you seen that " look like parts from a plane" are the missle cones. They are with the big piece of pipe. When we were there, last, there were a couple kids walking by with a few trout that were nice sized. We, also had a trout swimming between us for a little while. It was pretty funny.
Rick

RonFrank:
I'm very likely interested in doing the Hole and Perch lake in April with you all. I'll give you some better contact info so we can discuss it in a PM.
Hi Ron,
I am going down there friday the 15th of april to dive Perch again. You are welcome to come along. I think I am going to make it a once a month ritual.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom