Pensacola Trip Report 5/6/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another beautiful day in the Gulf of Mexico. We started out at the ungodly hour of 6:00 a.m. on the Y-Knot with Capt Dave and DM Eric, Oriskany Divemaster. I finally got to meet the world famous ChickDiver, Heather who had a tech-diving student on board. The woman is a diver's dive. She is an instructor and has dove all over the world. She was very interesting to talk to. Watching them suit up reinforced that Tech-diving is not for me. Too much gear. Also aboard was Jan1974, who is a free diver and absolutely amazing. I was hanging around watching the fisherman below me and down comes Jan. Capt Dave free dove down and took my picture, these guys are unbelieveable. I had never been on a boat with free divers and they are totally cool. Jan was speeding past me, no air, speargun in hand. We had three free divers and two spearfisherman from Louisana on the boat. FUN FUN FUN!

The first dive was on the Avocet, which is a 300 foot freighter that is covered up with AJs and Snapper. It is about 25 miles off shore, not a wave in sight and the water temp was the same as yesterday at 68 but it seemed warmer than yesterday because there was zero cloud cover and surface intervals were great. We were in 109 feet of water with vis of 50 feet.

The second dive, the Captain let us decide to stay on the Avocet. I love these flexible captains that let the divers have a vote in the trip. We had seen a lot of good fish and everyone agreed that one more time would be best. During the surface interval we were visited by a couple dolphins with a baby. Very cool. The most memorable part was the barracuba. There must have been 30 cubas on the site feeding on the spadefish. These were the fattest, longest, biggest cubas I have seen. What fun.

The third dive was the Three Mile Bridge Rubble. Vis was little less in 86 feet of water and the same temp. Very pleasant dive, tons of structure but not a lot of fish.

Overall the diving was good, the company was great and the Captain and DM did an excellent job. You can schedule a trip on the Y-knot with Capt Dave, Blue Water Adventures, by calling Dive Pros in Pensacola. The shop has excellent customer service and top rate instructors.

Arg, I've yet to dive the Avocet, I need to jump on the boats more often - I always hear of great dives on that particular site.

Yeah, I'm jealous.

Take any fish?

It was early in the morning, I didn't plan well, I, well, I.... no I didn't bring the camera either.

LOL :) Ok, good dives anyway! :D

Great report as usual. I'd love to see a freediver in the water.

Michael

I'm tired of being jealous!!! I'm going to do some diving in May!! I have something planned the next 3 weekends!!!

Back
Top Bottom