Pensacola area diving for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering a trip to Pensacola or panhandle area the week of Aug 22 to get in some diving. I complete my OW dives this weekend (yep counting chickens before thier hatched) :eyebrow: and plan to get in 4-6 dives at Twin Lakes here in houston before going on the trip. I don't have a regular buddy so will need to find one when I get to Fl. Can anyone recommend newbie dives in the area. I have my own gear including two tanks freshly inspected to bring with me. if needed Charters are fine if they have beginner dives. Would seriously consider an AOW class there for the additional experience esp if I can find one that does not require a night dive. (Not interested at this point in night diving with or without an instructor. Yep call me chicken. :11:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t65276.html

^^ Great newby site, just keep an eye on the tides ^^ Alot of the local shops do their checkout dives there.

There are some more beachable dives in the area, the Catherine is about 300m off the beach at Ft. Morgan. It'll make for a long walk from parking to entry point and 300m is a long swim.

There is a Tug(Sport) on the Bay side of Ft. Morgan. Not sure how far off the beach.

There are a few more beachable dives including some pier rubble and another wreck at the main beach and further east.

Dive Pros is a great shop in the P'Cola area if you want to charter something.

How far from P'Cola are you willing to go? Destin has a great jeddie to dive with excellent visibility most of the time. Panama City has a good jeddie dive. Gulf Shores, AL offers some beach dives as well including more jeddies and a easily accessible wreck.

If you need a buddy, I may be available :) That weekend is still up for grabs in my scheduling :D

Our family got certified through Dive Pro's in P'Cola. We have done a charter with Neptune dive charters.. number is in Ned Deloach's book, Dive Florida.. or I can get it from my husband if you'd like. You can do beach diving from Ft. Pickens, they have people diving there every weekend, and I'm sure Dive Pro's could get you a dive buddy! If you go to the shop ACROSS from NAS, ( NOT the one on base) Terry Hatcher was working there and he is great!

SuPrBuGmAn:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t65276.html

^^ Great newby site, just keep an eye on the tides ^^ Alot of the local shops do their checkout dives there.

There are some more beachable dives in the area, the Catherine is about 300m off the beach at Ft. Morgan. It'll make for a long walk from parking to entry point and 300m is a long swim.

There is a Tug(Sport) on the Bay side of Ft. Morgan. Not sure how far off the beach.

There are a few more beachable dives including some pier rubble and another wreck at the main beach and further east.

Dive Pros is a great shop in the P'Cola area if you want to charter something.

How far from P'Cola are you willing to go? Destin has a great jeddie to dive with excellent visibility most of the time. Panama City has a good jeddie dive. Gulf Shores, AL offers some beach dives as well including more jeddies and a easily accessible wreck.

If you need a buddy, I may be available :) That weekend is still up for grabs in my scheduling :D
\

Ft. Morgan is in Alabama. Ft. Pickens is the location you are referring to.

Wreck diving in Panama City is awesome right now. Good vis and the crowds are leaving to go home to school. Check out Divers Den and ask for Debbie or Sonya for a good time........you know I mean diving.

I Dove in Pensecola the week of July 4. Had just certified myself. Found MBT divers (LDS) very helpful. They can help you find a dive buddy.

chickdiver:
\

Ft. Morgan is in Alabama. Ft. Pickens is the location you are referring to.

You are correct, too many damned forts around here :)

Anywhere from Pensacola to the Panama City Beach area would be fine. I'm looking to stay within 12hours drive time from Houston. Thanks for the suggestions you have posted already. Sounds like there are several places to choose from.

Judy

Theres plenty, its all a matter of tides and what you want to do...

jstuart1:
I am considering a trip to Pensacola or panhandle area the week of Aug 22 to get in some diving. I complete my OW dives this weekend (yep counting chickens before thier hatched) :eyebrow: and plan to get in 4-6 dives at Twin Lakes here in houston before going on the trip. I don't have a regular buddy so will need to find one when I get to Fl. Can anyone recommend newbie dives in the area. I have my own gear including two tanks freshly inspected to bring with me. if needed Charters are fine if they have beginner dives. Would seriously consider an AOW class there for the additional experience esp if I can find one that does not require a night dive. (Not interested at this point in night diving with or without an instructor. Yep call me chicken. :11:

Shore diving in the Panhandle isn't all that spectacular. I would highly recommend a charter. There are some spectacular wrecks in the Pensacola area in the 60'- 80' range.

So far as I know, all of the major agencies require a night dive as part of the core curriculum for the AOW class.

For charters in Pensacola try this one:

www.bluwateradventures.com

I use Capt. Dave frequently for both student charters and for pleasure diving. He's an excellent captain and a really nice guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom