pelican cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
are these cases good for protecting your gear. dont want to have my gear damaged in transit.

Oh yea... they are great. Most use them for camera gear, or small boxes for a computer, save a dive kit, etc inside a dive bag. The problem with the large ones for all your gear, is to get one big enough to use as a dive bag alternative, you will find they are pretty heavy. You are starting out with about 25 lbs of box - and with the weight restrictions these days - most people don't use them for that. I've never had a problem with stuff getting hurt in just a plain ole' dive bag if packed right.

Pelicans are excellent - virtually indestructible. They are enormously heavy, however, which can make them not necessarily the best choice for air travel! Mine hasn't been out of our shed for years - it's just too big & heavy.

Several other companies make similar type cases that are often slightly less expensive, but still heavy.

What are you trying to pack? How/where are you traveling? More information might generate some good ideas from those who have gone before you!

i am looking to go to grand cayman this winter. I just got back from puerto rico where my halcyon bladder got busted in transit. I want something that will carry my canister light as well as my bcd safely. What size do you think i need. I would like it to be under 50 lbs with all the stuff in it so that i wouldnt have to pay extra at check in.

thanks

puerto rico

baggage hell of the world.

San Jaun has "special rules".

I use a Pelican and put it inside a hockey duffel.

I'm not a light packer and I don't find it impossible to be within the limit, although I usually have a VERY light packer with me and that helps. For most connections, I check all that camera stuff (I would NOT through San Jaun).

i am looking at the 1650. Is it big enough to put my halcyon 30 lbs lift in as well as my canister light?

Thanks

I think mine is the 1600, I'll put my wing in a take a pic...I'm not sure about your light.

you might be able to get some scale if you see the bcd in there. I use mine for lenses and really fragile stuff...three lenses, camera, housing and strobe.

They have a nice one that rolls, you know. You could always just get a hard suit case that rolls for that precious wing.
DSC_0004-3.jpg

Did you determine exactly "how" the bladder got toasted? Sometimes it's a matter of packing correctly to protect stuff and that can take some futzing around to get right. Several tries at loading and unloading and reloading as you test shifting gear etc.

I pack tons of fragile stuff every time I fly and I have it down now...last time I had something break (knock wood) was several years ago and it's because I didn't double check everything before I zipped up. I mostly travel with soft sided, light luggage as I need the weight for stuff, not my bag :D

catherine thank you for the photo, that definitly gives me an idea on the size that i need. I think that i will probably go for the 1660. It seems like that size will hold all of my stuff (wing, canister light, wetsuit etc.) if i needed to put it in there.

Agree they are not the lightest things in the world. The last time I used my Pelican as I approaced the check in counter the agent said very loudly....Now that looks like a heavy box.

Plus...you cant lock them and everyone know there is good stuff in there. I ended up going to Lowes and getting a heavy duty plastic Tupperware like container to put stuff in and put that in a non descript suitcase.

Back
Top Bottom