peek-a-boo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried playing a little. I don't know if the resolution will be great but you get the Idea. I like to keep the flow of the background yet put emphasis on the fish.

lukeROB:
hey alcina, is that the same anemone at blizzard ridge where I shot the pink clown?

Nope, I have given up on those babies...too hard to get in for a good shot and I end up with butts mostly! Or flat looking shots from shooting too much straight down. On a totally still day you can get in there pretty low without hitting the edges, but otherwise it's too much risk to kick the surrounding stuff.

This guy is one of about 5 on this anemone...there are at least 4 big anemones with pinks on this new site DH and I are diving. They are very much more cooperative and the anemones are situated in a much better location...when the swell is down I think I should be able to get some nice shots.

First off, nice picture on its own. Here's another take. As for the fish position, I like him not centered. I don't know if they still teach this but when I started UW photography they use to say not to center your subject. They use to teach a rule of thirds where by you would divide your view finder into thirds vertically and horizontally. These intersecting points were where the ideal position for the main subject to be. Really helps with composition. Another thing I was taught was to try to show motion from left to right, so that the eyes will flow across the photo in a natural movement, such as when reading. My instructor use to take the appropriate slides and flip them in the projector to show this. Doesn't mean it's right...it's art. Just throwing it out there.

Bubbbleblower - thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and your version! I think it is great to see how other's would change a shot and what they think looks good -I think it helps me (and hopefully others, too) when it comes time to take another picture.

I guess most of the time I wouldn't want a centered subject either and the rule of thirds is still a great guideline. Sometimes I like shots that are outside of that, too.

Excellent tip on the direction of movement in a frame - I'll bet lots of folks, including me, will find that helpful. (BTW - remember that not all readers read from Left to Right :wink: so what is "natural" isn't really...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom