Pee Valve Balanced vs. Unbalanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to make my own Pee Valve. I have the design by Airspeed Press and have not decided whether to make a balanced or unbalanced valve.

Anyone with experience that can offer the pros and cons of each?

I like the idea of the simplicity of the unbalanced, but back-flow scares the pee out of me.

My last option would be to buy one. $$ :shakehead:

I've use both balanced and unbalanced valves, and I greatly prefer the unbalanced. The trick is to pee in it before you descend.

The balance chamber can and does fail, which means you pee on your leg (gross). A straight shot valve gets rid of that all together. But you've got to pee in it (or leave it open while you descend, not recommended...) beforehand.

At least if you prime the system, you'll know if you have an "issue" before the dive really starts :wink:

A straight shot valve gets rid of that all together. But you've got to pee in it (or leave it open while you descend, not recommended...) beforehand.

Why do you not recommend leaving the valve off as you descend? Back-flow?

I have used balanced and unbalanced. My current suit has unbalanced and it gives me no problems. I do not prime the hose or leave it open. When I want to pee I open the bolt, pee, and then close the bolt. Simple as that.

The only problem I could see is if you open the bolt, pee just a little, and then close the bolt. The air left inside the hose (from not filling it up by peeing) would expand when you ascend.

I am pretty sure at this point that I will be going with an unbalanced "Bolt" design. I figure, if I have issues, I can always upgrade latter.

I tried all, balanced, unbalanced and half-balanced :D

As far as I see it the worst part of the unbalanced for me was that in some conditions it just is not convenient to get the priming done (sometimes I just do not have enough piddle at the exact moment, sometimes the getting in the water is such a hassle in rough conditions that peeing gets forgotten etc). So you are so outta luck when it is so darn hard to pee later in the dive (might be little easier for guys but I can't crack the pressure at 60 ft after that squeeze).

Other thing is that if the bolt is gone and you don't get replacement out of wetnotes fast enough, you are SOL again. I have had cold river water come in the tubes once and I HAD the bolt - geesh that leg was numb fast.

I am not even so worried about infections (yet, since it has not happened) but it's a legitimate worry.

The piss-leg syndrome with balanced valve is easily fixed. Get smartproductions check valves instead of the cheap crap check valves that everyone uses AND rinse the valve after days use, so it does not gunk up. I don't even think the rinse is as important as moving away from the inferior product.

But actually for a guy, I would just do the 'half-balanced', ie leave the second check valve (on the end of the T) off, just have one on a straight tube. This way you are not directly exposed to 'dirty' water but you have one less weak point. No leaking into pants (other than when cath blows) but some cootie barrier - and if I was able to crack that pressure, I am sure guys can. Bolt loss will be less painful too.

Why do you not recommend leaving the valve off as you descend? Back-flow?

If the valve is connected and closed, the air in the tip of the catheter will compress as you descent, pinching you. Ouch. No one wants that!

Before the dive, I always prime the system. Always. I also make a note to be well hydrated before every dive so peeing right before the descent isn't a problem. I also do not dive dry without the valve connected. Should the bolt unscrew and its not connected, water goes in the suit. Not good.

When its peepee time during the dive, I simply open the valve right as I start going. No backflow of water to worry about (which I think is overstated, anyway) doing it this way. I do NOT leave the bolt out, as thats just asking for problems should you have a catheter blow off or some other catastrophe.

I also do not dive dry without the valve connected. Should the bolt unscrew and its not connected, water goes in the suit. Not good.

Quick disconnect would solve that problem on unbalanced. I would hate to be forced to play with adhesives every time I dive dry. I do not connect for a little 50 min dip in local lake on cold day when I have a chance to take a piddle right before and right after the dive. Also, might not be an issue with you guys but us girls sometimes need about every 4th day off when on a two week trip and having used She-P every day. Just gets ruff on the parts on long days. It's good to be able to plug the tubes off.

Ill give you that, but I also don't use a she-p :wink:

A quick disconnect is just one more thing for me to forget or come undone, and then I'd pee on myself...

Back
Top Bottom