Peak Buoyancy Specialty Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. The majority seem to think it is a good idea to get some extra help so I believe that is what I will do. I also agree that practice will definitely help me improve; with assistance, I can ensure I am practicing the correct things. The other common theme seems to be "it depends on the instructor," which seems logical. I have the good fortune of having a son work for an airline so I can fly, stand by, for free. I plan on getting my AOW in the keys or Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. Can anyone recommend a good instructor in that area that I could seek out?

Take GUE fundies if you can. You'll come out with much more solid buoyancy and finning skills than if you take PPB. If not offered in your area, seek a workshop from a non GUE instructor who follows that philosophy.

And he is frequently very wrong on technical issues as related to equipment (especially his series on regulators) as well as his advice on diving and training. He is a great sweet talker BS artist. He makes what appear to be "profound" sounding statements that impress the uninitiated and inexperienced in many of his videos unfortunately. He is the stereotypical "used car salesman."

I watched that series and it was basic Information; what specifically was he wrong about? His channel is as good or better than others I've seen to date. I don't understand why you seem to have such a huge dislike for the guy.

I watched that series and it was basic Information; what specifically was he wrong about? His channel is as good or better than others I've seen to date. I don't understand why you seem to have such a huge dislike for the guy.

Because he is wrong concerning his understanding and explanation of how equipment works, nitrox compressors and other technical matters. He is also misleading with his information on training. He is a great salesman for himself for sure, snake oil salesman.

Because he is wrong concerning his understanding and explanation of how equipment works, nitrox compressors and other technical matters. He is also misleading with his information on training. He is a great salesman for himself for sure, snake oil salesman.

Never saw the nitrox compressor video but his regulator series was basic and fundamentally accurate (better than most dive store associates lol. I'm not sure how he is misleading on training. Do you know him or have taken a course from in the past? You seem to carry a lot of animosity for this guy given all the hacks on YouTube lol. I don't know him but who would you suggest for someone to watch?

Never saw the nitrox compressor video but his regulator series was basic and fundamentally accurate (better than most dive store associates lol. I'm not sure how he is misleading on training. Do you know him or have taken a course from in the past? You seem to carry a lot of animosity for this guy given all the hacks on YouTube lol. I don't know him but who would you suggest for someone to watch?

Concerning the regulator videos series, just watch the last one where he showcased the Dive Rite regulator.

I have watched his videos extensively in the past and now only watch them occasional when I am really bored.

No, I don't carry any animosity at all, I don't know the guy personally but I have seen enough of his videos on various subjects. I believe that after 50 years of diving and 35 years of my being instructor, instructor trainer, instructor trainer trainer and course director/instructor examiner, I can make judgements on people who try to BS their way and make BS statements. I actually do that every time I am training instructors and/or evaluating them in their instructor exams.

I would focus on courses that expand what you can do (depth, overhead, gas type, …) and while doing those with a very good instructor, ask him to double down on what fundamental skills you are most interested in (buoyancy, …).

I just completed my 10th dive. I plan on taking my advanced open water this February. I have several more diving scheduled before this. With AOW, you have 2 required dives and then can choose 3 specialty dives. A lot of dive shops push Peak Buoyancy but after watching James' comments on Divers Ready, I dismissed the idea of this as one of my 3. Basically, he says it just takes practice, which I'm sure is true. However, doing an honest self evaluation of my buoyancy, I probably do need help. Does anyone have experience with this particular specialty course? Did you get value from it? If I'm not going to get a lot of value from it, there are plenty more specialty courses I find far more interesting. However, if it truly dramatically improved my buoyancy, then it would be worth it. But, I fear James may be right and it really just comes down to practice and more diving. I am improving with each dive. Opinions?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. The majority seem to think it is a good idea to get some extra help so I believe that is what I will do. I also agree that practice will definitely help me improve; with assistance, I can ensure I am practicing the correct things. The other common theme seems to be "it depends on the instructor," which seems logical. I have the good fortune of having a son work for an airline so I can fly, stand by, for free. I plan on getting my AOW in the keys or Miami/Fort Lauderdale area. Can anyone recommend a good instructor in that area that I could seek out?

I would consider changing your plan for AOW and just focus on finding the best instructor for buoyancy that you can. Buoyancy is one of those skills that you continue to refine for years, and finding someone that really understands how to teach it is not easy. It's true that the technical and cave diving worlds generally speaking are far more advanced when it comes to the basic skills of buoyancy, trim, position, and propulsion. So you might try to find someone that at least has a foot in that world. I don't know about the idea of a GUE fundies class; that's a very rigorous course that typically prepares divers for technical diving. It might be more than you are prepared for or looking for at this point. But, it's worth investigating. If not that, at least try to find an instructor for the peak buoyancy class that has some technical experience. I hate to say it but the general level of PADI instructors is wildly variable; there are excellent ones and ones that are hopelessly under qualified to teach diving.

Concerning the regulator videos series, just watch the last one where he showcased the Dive Rite regulator.

I have watched his videos extensively in the past and now only watch them occasional when I am really bored.

No, I don't carry any animosity at all, I don't know the guy personally but I have seen enough of his videos on various subjects. I believe that after 50 years of diving and 35 years of my being instructor, instructor trainer, instructor trainer trainer and course director/instructor examiner, I can make judgements on people who try to BS their way and make BS statements. I actually do that every time I am training instructors and/or evaluating them in their instructor exams.
I watched the video and didn't see any glaring issues. Although he may have reversed the action of the external adjustment knob in relation to the spring. I'm an equipment technician, including Dive Rite and dive that set and I didn't see anything way off base in that video. You didn't mention who you would recommend to watch on YouTube?

One thing i will say is that buoyancy takes practice, so grab every opportunity you can, and don't discount "Boring" pool sessions as if you have decent control in less than 3m of water, you'll be a buoyancy ninja in 20 meters! Also, small pools are really good for making you sort out your finning including your back kick ;-)

Back
Top Bottom