Peacock Springs Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

camaro diver:
I am the victim's brother. As a diver myself I have Questions.
Thank you for your support and condolences, they will be past on
to the family.
My condolences to you and your family.

Of course we dont know all there is to know about the situation, i hope you dont see our questions, pondering, discussion and such in any way disrespectful to your brother. As cave divers we continue to learn from these mistakes and deaths, we see what could be done to make things safer and better, what went wrong and how to correct it from happening again - hopefully, this is through analysis and discussion, hopefully without conjecture. It doesnt help you, your family or your brother in anyway, BUT this unfortunate death does benefit (in one sense) the community in awareness and learning even though it is at the huge cost of a precious life. In the learning sense we await the report of what the investigation finds, but in the meantime we know this is a huge loss to you and your family, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Welcome to the site as well, sorry it is under such unfortunate circumstances. As you are a diver, when you feel more comfortable, feel free to look around, i hope you find we are a friendly and useful community on scubaboard and that you will continue to return. Sorry again for your loss.

There are a number of media reports that are starting to surface. I did promise to post information as soon as the facts come in. Though some of the reports are close and some are not all of the facts are not in and an official report has not yet been submitted. I have been asked not to post anything on any of the boards until the facts are all determined. Again thanks to everyone for thier patience but as stated earlier this one has a number of conflicts that need to be resolved. I am not directly involved with this incident and I am only working to get the information out when it is accurate for the good of the community. I have had a number of phone calls and emails but I will not confer anything until it is in writing in a report

Bobby

this is going to get nasty if it continues in this light, can we please try to keep the thread focused on accident analysis.

From the link posted by MavJax, there seems to ba questions outstanding:

Was the victim a student at the time,

what course was he taking

Apart from his cavern cert, do we have any info about his general level of training and experience.

Why did he bocome separated from the rest of the team.

Why did the instructor hand him the stage rather than the long hose.

If it was deep air or extended range, can these be conducted in over head environments such as these?

How did he jump from the main line to the side tunnel.

Specter, I dont think that this accident has anything at all to do with whether P3 is or isnt a cavern. The accident happened in the cave. Clear and simple, he shouldnt have been there whether the cavern at the entrance was perfect or not.

cancun mark:
Specter, I dont think that this accident has anything at all to do with whether P3 is or isnt a cavern. The accident happened in the cave. Clear and simple, he shouldnt have been there whether the cavern at the entrance was perfect or not.

My original comments stated: "Not that it changes -anything- in regards to the accident, as this goes -far- beyond the cavern."

I was just trying to clear up the misconception that there isn't any cavern. It obviously doesn't have anything to do with the accident at hand, but I'd hate for the comments like that to cause P3 to get closed to all but, say, Abe Davis holders [as has been suggested in one of the internet discussions on the topic].

This is a sad event. I think it reminds us all to regularly examine our proceedures to insure we don't violate the rules which keep us alive in the caves. Sad but true, there were mistakes made here, the full measure of which will come out soon. Let us all remind ourselves of the safe cave diving principals we all learned in the begining, and make it a practice to adhere to them. If we learn from this event, there is a small measure of purpose in it. Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom