PDC vs Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TopazHome

New
Reaction score
I'm now thinking about doing my first dive in Cozumel in July. I've heard that I can access Cozumel diving from Playa Del Carmen with a short ferry ride. Since I can stay in either city, where would you recommend we go? Is there more non-diving stuff to do in Playa or in Coz? Which place is more beautiful, fun, cultural, etc?

Thanks!

I can't believe that no one has written back yet!
If you are a new diver, stay in PDC. There is more to do, the beaches are awesome, the diving is easier and more relaxed, and depending on where you stay and who your dive Op is, the boat rides are short.. making your day more flexible. You can arrange a few dives in Coz after a few days in PDC.

You did not mention if you are going down there with a non diver or not. I usually look at it from teh cost point fo view. Is is lless expensive to fly to Cancun or directly to Cozumel. If you are going in the summer, the hotel rates in cozumel are cheaper.

One thing that I do know is the best diving is Cozumel. Most of the boats leave between 8:30 -9:30 AM. That would make you have to get up at 7 AM on a vacation.

If diving is not the priority, then staying in PDC is a better option. Most people on Cozumel go to the mainland to do the touristy stuff .

eelpout:
You did not mention if you are going down there with a non diver or not. I usually look at it from teh cost point fo view. Is is lless expensive to fly to Cancun or directly to Cozumel. If you are going in the summer, the hotel rates in cozumel are cheaper.
Good points...

eelpout:
One thing that I do know is the best diving is Cozumel. Most of the boats leave between 8:30 -9:30 AM. That would make you have to get up at 7 AM on a vacation.
Depending on who you dive with if they leave before 9:00am or so you'll have to take the 6AM ferry over. Right now there is no 7AM ferry from PDC to Cozumel.
eelpout:
If diving is not the priority, then staying in PDC is a better option. Most people on Cozumel go to the mainland to do the touristy stuff .
I'll ditto with eelpout & Divedoggie that I think there's more to do on the mainland side. There's still plenty of wonderful drift diving, plus the cenote diving, plus the ruins, plus the nicer beaches, and the town of Playa Del Carmen is a lot of fun. The cost of touristy goods seems to be cheaper on the mainland. Finally, if you want to get crazy you can run up to Cancun for the nightlife.

Overall, I think the diving in Cozumel is nicer, but there's trade-offs.

In the past I've always stayed on the mainland, then ferried over to Cozumel at least once during the week.

Jerry

TopazHome:
I'm now thinking about doing my first dive in Cozumel in July. I've heard that I can access Cozumel diving from Playa Del Carmen with a short ferry ride. Since I can stay in either city, where would you recommend we go? Is there more non-diving stuff to do in Playa or in Coz? Which place is more beautiful, fun, cultural, etc?

Thanks!

I dive them both. These are my thoughts: Your first dive should be as comfortable and fun as possible. With that said.......PDC diving is usually in shallower water, generally less current, and almost without exception you will be in a smaller boat and maybe actually leaving from the beach. Depending on where you stay in PDC you'll cab it or walk to the shopping. If you do not stay in an all inclusive, it's the beach or shopping.. Gotta go to Cancun for serious playing, etc.

Cozumel...the diving will be drift with the current. It's not rocket science.. You get in the water, decend, neutralize, and you don't move.....everything else does as you watch it go by. Real neat. Safety stop & up. Usually two types of dive ops big boat (slow) and fast boat...smaller. Usually 6 or 8 people. Small boat costs a little more. I suggest you try to get on a fast boat for your first two dives. Let the crew know right away that it is your first dive...eneryone makes a first dive. Stay close to the DM and LISTEN TO THE DIVE BRIEFING. Then try the big boat thing with a larger group. Tell your buddy what your experience level is and don't be afraid to ask theirs. Surprisingly, you may find you have better dives and more fun with a buddy whose experience is close to yours. They tend to make good buddies. All the boats in Coz leave from docks or La Caleta "cove". Shopping and entertainment is localized and most is within walking distance in the center. Taxi may be needed to get to some or La Caleta if you are not leaving from one of the larger hotels.

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom