PDC not diving related....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A kind of off question...

We are headed to PDC next week and I am wondering if there are organizations there that work with orphans, or other disadvantaged kids that we could bring some things to. I am not looking for a lecture... having been all over the world I am all too familiar with the great American benefactors that like to breeze into an impoverished area, spread a few packs of M&Ms, some toys etc. and then leave feeling like they have changed the world, when they have in fact NOT!! however, I am not free at this time to move to the area and devote myself to the peoples of the area. However, if there are ways I can brighten a child's day or help a mother in need by bringing something, I would really like to do it. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi... 3 hours and counting. Well, we contacted an orphanage in PDC and a library in Akumal... all in serious need. WE are taking BAGS and BAGS of stuff. Mostly school supplies kind of things and baby clothes. At the orphanage, the woman is choosing two girls in need (the same ages as my girls) and they (my girls ages 4 & 5) helped me put together a special kit for them and they will also keep in touch after we get home. This will be a good lesson for them. I am really proud of them. We shopped all day yesterday and not one item was for them. And they are really happy about picking out and taking things to the kids in Mexico. I am really excited bout this... just wish I had thought of it sooner so I could get ahold of some spanish reading material for the library. If any one else is interested I can get you the contact info.... I sure anything would be greatly appreciated. I will post a report when we get home next week!

AmyJ,
I know you've already left, but when you get back, please PM me with any info you have. Thanks.

Have a great time.
Kat

There are a couple of orginizations that are looking for help:

Educentro, a school worth supporting. Provides education for adults and children in Akumal and Puerto Aventuras, see www.educentro.com

Angel Notion, non profit organization dedicated to raising funds and donations to provide educaton, medical aid and opportunities for people of lesser means and special needs. www.angelnotion.com

Dennis

Well, we're back. Ended up taking suitcases FULL of school supplies, baby clothes, diapers and other clothes for young children. Went to the special education school in PDC (see Angel Notion) and also a free medical clinic they run in PDC. It was so worthwhile. My kids got to meet and share things they had bought with the kids at the school. My deaf daughter got to meet some deaf kids and learn a bit of Mexican Sign Language.

At the clinic we met a woman with twins (babies) who cried when we handed her cloth diapers. My girls (ages 4 & 5) loved giving the babies blankets and clothes and just hugging them. I think they really got part of it.

We are now working on a mission trip (myself and some other interpreters) to go to the PDC area (once we've worked a bit on our mexican Sign language) and work with the families of these children so they can learn to communicate with their children. We met the teacher who knows sign language (ONE TEACHER) for all of PDC, Coz, Akumal and Tulum areas. It is heartbreaking.

I don't know how to get this out to the whole Scubaboard community, but I would like to ... (Mods, suggestions?)

Although I'm sure we all have differing levels of income etc. we obviously make enough to support our addiction (scuba) and travel to these places where there are so many disadvantaged people. We worry about which hotel to stay at and how much we will spend on our post dive beer but really..........

I would like to challenge EVERYONE on Scubaboard, next time you travel for a dive trip, pack just a few extra things for the people that do not benefit from your dollars as you stay in their country. A few packs of crayons, a coloring book or a few diapers can really brighten someones day. How can we, the privileged, begrudge these few things to people in such need.

I realize this is not a long term solution, but only the opportunity to brighten a day, show you care and make a small difference. Anyone willing to pitch in???

AmyJ, got your PM, thanks.

You can count me in. The next time I go to Cancun, PDC or Coz I am going to bring things for the children. I was just there with my daughter. She would have loved to have brought the children some gifts.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Angel Notion. I know that you have started something big. Imagine if everyone from Scubaboard, who vacations in this area, would bring just a few things. It would really make a huge difference in the lives of these children.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom