PCB - another S H A R K sighting.................

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoadWarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
Panama City diving with the Dive Locker this past weekend.

We're diving the Black Bart. Two people are spear fishing and having some luck.

My wife grabs my shoulder and points... 8 to 10 feet away there's the biggest Bull Shark in the world. 25 feet long. Okay, 10 feet. Huge, okay.

Swins an ever so slow little arc around us and then fades off into the distance. Talk about an adrenaline rush!!! That was the best ever. We didn't move a muscle for 60 seconds. Had it turned toward us... I would have just figured my day had come.

We've seen the 2' to 4' nurse sharks often enough but this... shades of JAWS. It looked as big around as it was long. That one sighting will do us a lifetime. Please.

I'm still excited about seeing the beast. I've told this story to several non-divers at work and... well, you know, so I wanted to share it with you.

Five divers that dive and everyone saw it. One person estimated it circled the wreck twice. The DeckHand said his name was Smilie and he hangs out at the Black Bart and is seen often. To those who have had the 8 to 10 foot pleasure... is your heart still pounding?

Last summer on Bridge Span 14 (which is less than a mile from the Bart) my friend went in first and was spearfishing. When I got to the bottom he was kneeling with a bewildered look on his face with his spear in hand. I always circle the wreck where boats swing on anchor to check for dropped gear. I sensed a presence but knew that I was out there alone. When I looked to my right a bull was swimming alongside me. I am 6 ft 4 Inches. I stretched my arms out and the shark was longer than me and my arms. When he saw me looking at him he just peeled off and swam away.

Later on the boat Kevin, the spearfisherman, reported that the bull took the snapper right off his spear.

It's always an exciting experience to see these magnificent creatures up close. Congratulations on your sighting.

I'm jealous, I'm still waiting on my first large shark encounter!

saw a bull about that size at sombrero reef off of marathon.
I was snorkeling and it was just cruising down on the bottom.
this was right before the hurricanes last year

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom