Pavilion Lake June 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[video=vimeo;97662591]https://vimeo.com/97662591[/video]

Some footage of my dive yesterday at Pavilion Lake. Stromatolite formations dot the bottom of the lake here. Stromatolites provide the most ancient records of life on Earth by fossil remains which date from more than 3.5 billion years ago.
Pavilion Lake has the largest known freshwater stromatolites and has been researched by NASA as part of xenobiology research. NASA, the Canadian Space Agency and numerous universities from around the world are collaborating on a project centered around studying microbialite life in the lakes. Called the "Pavilion Lake Research Project"
GOPR0197.jpg

One of my more favorite places to dive :)

I'm curious, were you with a research group? I ask because I always assumed there were only three places for recreational diving in the lake, along the northern shore, yet you guys are going somewhere else it looks like. Beautiful formations regardless.

Nope no research group here, just some local knowledge involved...Was there on Ocean Pacific's Zodiac.

We were not that far off the recreational more famous area, but it is a deeper area, and the structures are much larger here!

I think I have inspired a Alberta group to come out in August and we will be doing the same dives if you want to be kept in the loop

---------- Post added June 9th, 2014 at 07:42 PM ----------

I did notice some current NASA sensors while on the second dive...I did not get any footage of them, but they were there

Not sure of what weekend they are going up...they are just working out, how to get there and where to stay etc etc...If it is around August 9th, I should have no problem recognizing you by your masks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom