Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Watching some reruns as they run up to the new season premier. The more I watch the more I notice he, THE CAPTAIN, passes the buck on risky decisions or is absent in the worst of times way too often for his position. Example:

When deciding on a night assault, he let's Peter Brown (#2 man) make the decisions so he can sleep. Peter Brown has the spine of an eel. When the 4th man in line tells him to shut up, he just takes it. Please. Then the zodiac got lost for a bit. Frightening.

Another episode they are being followed by a ship they think are letting whalers know Sea Shepherd's location. The captain comes up with the idea to assault it but leaves the actual decision to others.....again.

When his men that boarded a whaling vessel are returned, one of his crew says someone should be on the main deck to shake they're hand when they come on board. He says that's fine. When she says "I think it should be the captain" he responds "I don't leave the bridge." He spends more time in his cabin than on the bridge!!

God Bless that crew and all they are doing. However, they are in dire need of a strong leader that is willing to make tough decisions and live with the consequences. Oh well....at least they're making a difference be it big or small. He owes every iota of success to the crew members, many of whom have balls the size of basketballs! I realize some of this could be due to creative editing but, if I'm the Capt and the show makes me look like that undeservedly, they're not on my boat much longer.

Watching some reruns as they run up to the new season premier. The more I watch the more I notice he, THE CAPTAIN, passes the buck on risky decisions or is absent in the worst of times way too often for his position. Example:

When deciding on a night assault, he let's Peter Brown (#2 man) make the decisions so he can sleep. Peter Brown has the spine of an eel. When the 4th man in line tells him to shut up, he just takes it. Please. Then the zodiac got lost for a bit. Frightening.

Another episode they are being followed by a ship they think are letting whalers know Sea Shepherd's location. The captain comes up with the idea to assault it but leaves the actual decision to others.....again.

When his men that boarded a whaling vessel are returned, one of his crew says someone should be on the main deck to shake they're hand when they come on board. He says that's fine. When she says "I think it should be the captain" he responds "I don't leave the bridge." He spends more time in his cabin than on the bridge!!

God Bless that crew and all they are doing. However, they are in dire need of a strong leader that is willing to make tough decisions and live with the consequences. Oh well....at least they're making a difference be it big or small. He owes every iota of success to the crew members, many of whom have balls the size of basketballs! I realize some of this could be due to creative editing but, if I'm the Capt and the show makes me look like that undeservedly, they're not on my boat much longer.

Well written. Watson seems more like a fundraiser and front man than an actual leader.

Jeff

Peter,

I'm not a south park fan but that was pretty damn funny. It really is funny sometimes what they call an "attack" or an "assault." I agree....Watson is a face for the organization. Like I said in the first post, I appreciate & admire their efforts but too much posing. From the news clips recently and the previews of this season, it does seem there was a bit more aggression. Last season when the whalers actually were whaling right in front of them, that looked really bad. It's one thing to harass the fleet but if ya can't hinder them WHILE they are whaling, that's pretty weak.

There appears to be virtually no pre-operation training. Just round-up a handful of protesters and hit the seas...

Although they are bringing attention to a despicable act by the Japanese, they are essentially vegetarian pirates. They certainly have little training. I don't think that hippies can really be "organized" like a military unit...too many individuals and nobody wants to work as a team. What we're really seeing is something more like fanaticism.

I'm torn; part of me dislikes the Sea Sheppard's tactics, but a bigger part of me hates the whaler's and anyone that supports that industry. When it comes down to it, all is fair in WAR.

Perhaps Paul should shut his mouth and let everyone speculate on what he's thinking instead of "sharing" what's running through his mind. He'd certainly seem a whole lot brighter than he comes across on screen. And BTW, he's a lousy practitioner of Sun Tzu.

Now, about Peter...Peter's supposed to be the Executive Officer. The XO is always the heavy with the crew. His job is to be the dick so that everyone loves the Captain. I'm sure most of my fellow squids will know exactly what I'm saying.

I will agree that Paul doesn't seem to be the strongest leader in the world and they should probably have more "closed door" strategy and planning sessions during which the Skipper should be assigning tasks to the crew like "board the enemy ship" or "you two, throw poop at them". He does seem like a d-bag when he says things like, "I can't tell you to board thier ship", or "I can't ask you to do that". WTF, didn't he say that the crew had to be willing to "die for a whale"!

My personal opinions aside, they have certainly done more to stopping the whaler's than I have; I'm sure that everyone that posts here can say the same.

OK...I'm done. Time for a drink!

My personal opinions aside, they have certainly done more to stopping the whaler's than I have; I'm sure that everyone that posts here can say the same.

I don't agree. I think Sea Shepherd does more harm than good. If I was a whaler and some group like Sea Shepherd started attacking me I'd just whale more. I think if they left Japan alone they would have gotten bored and moved on from whaling by now.

Basically what Japan is doing is legal, whether one disagrees with their actions or not. I would prefer all fishing be stopped myself, including whaling, but I recognise that I can't impose my will on others.

Good thing you're not willing to stand up for what you belive in!

I can see Sas's point ...
and .. it's not A war, it's THEIR war .. if that's all it takes to make .. "all is fair in WAR. " then :shrug:
you do know that there are many fanatical groups around the world that agree with exactly that

I was not going to post anything here but I had to comment on that thought
... I do agree with the OP's observations , it does seem like he's not much of a Capitan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom