Paul Gauguin in Tahiti, anybody done this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, how fun to be reminded of this trip! I just went back and re-read this thread, and it all came back to me. I've since been diving in some pretty awesome locations around the world, and this STILL rates way up there among the best diving I've ever done. And I still think that these guys are the best dive crew I've ever dived with (although Aquamarine Diving in Bali is a close second...) :wink:

Right now I'm in the throes of planning my next two dive vacations, to Costa Rica (2008) and the Red Sea (2009), but if this ship is still in French Polynesia in 2010, I think I'll just have to do this trip again. :D Until then, I'd love to read some trip reports from those of you heading out on her before I do!

WOW! I didn't realise that the PG had that good of dive operations. We've been to FP 2x so far, first stayed 2 weeks at the now non-existant Club Med on Moorea, then we did a week cruise on a cat called the Huamana run (then) by Pearl cruises which has also changed. Last year, we did our first Star Clipper cruise on the Flyer in Thailand, and fell in love with this cruise line. I will never forget doing Hin Duang one morning, 4 divers w/ Katerian the dive master and the whole ship just floated 1/2 mile away while we did our dive! Talk about service. We want to do the Flyer on one of the longer 10-11 day trips.

The next trip we are trying to decide on the TP, Paul Gauguin and the Star Flyer, which starts sailing this December. It was mentioned that one of the PG dates in Sept. could be a Cousteau trip, but haven't seen anything on Regents site.....this along with the convenience of stowing gear on the Marina deck could sway our decision to the PG. Any confirmation on this? We did enjoy the Tahitian Princess cruise, but like to keep options open. Pics from the trip in the link below.

Mike, the TP is going to be leaving FP. While she has a few months there this fall, she's transferring to doing mostly world and longer cruises.

As for Jean-Michel Cousteau, his last announced sailing for 2008 (other than the Christmas holiday "Ambassadors of the Environment" youth programs) on the PG is the September 27 14-nighter. He's also scheduled for the September 6 14-nighter as well.

The PG is my favorite cruise ship of all time, and diving in Tahiti is among my world favorite. I think FP is the perfect combination of above and below water beauty.

Hi Amber......an update on our plans. We have been booked on the Star Flyer since last May....this thread has been out there for quite a while now. We are on the Aug.3rd cruise and am really looking forward to it. Have talked to the dive team onboard & they seem like a great group...they currently diving on Moorea, Bora, Raiatea, Rangiroa & the Fakarava.....they currently don't have anything set up in Huahine, but they said that could be added.

Mike

For anyone thinking about heading to French Polynesia, the Paul Gauguin is outstanding. We have been to FP before, and are sailors who normally charter a bare boat and take off. But the PG is the way to go in FP: you see more islands than staying in a single locale, the lectures on the islands, wild life, and archaeology are outstanding.

As has been said, this is not your ordinary cruise: maximum of 320 people, Dominique's dive operation is great. We are planning a return trip. Balcony's are a good idea to dry gear, if you bring your own equipment. We also cruised up to the Marquesas, which were fantastic. The only other recommendation I would make is to fly business or first class, if possible. Air Tahiti Nui does a great job.

Some great shots have been posted. Here is a link to some diving pics from our trip:

http://www.e-clements.com/Pictures/French_Polynesia_Dive.wmv

If anyone is thinking about going, do. It is really unique.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks for sharing the slide show! We're really looking forward to this trip in September -- All the feedback has been completely positive. And given the recent comments, I'm glad we sprung for a balcony cabin, since we'll be bringing all our own gear.

We are going on the PG in June and we are so excited about the dives! Love all your pictures. It makes it all so exciting.

Diana

Diana, you may be on the PG as I am typing this. We are on the PG departing Papeete August 27, 2008. I am looking forward to your trip report when you get back. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom