Paul Gauguin Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't not answer this one. I'm ON the PG on a two week cruise as I write this.

What a fantastic ship! We did our first dive off the PG yesterday but using an outside operator. The guide swam off leading the pack -- Lynne and I kept getting farther and farther behind -- but we were able to actually Look at things.

He had given us a 45 minute or gas limit -- we broke the surface at 44 minutes, 45 seconds. The others in our "group" asked how much air we had left and then couldn't understand why we had so much left after being down so much longer.

I don't understand why the guides want to go "deep" when the really good stuff is above 60 feet and a lot much shallower. We had a lot of fun and I was so glad to see so much fish life. This puts Maui to shame (well, a lot puts Maui to shame but THAT is another story).

A "sea day" today and then more diving tomorrow.

I'm most curious to learn about your trip this year PeterGuy. I just learned about the 2009 trip and am interested in signing up, particularly for the opportunity to dive with JMC.

Please let us know about your trip.

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Great pictures, looks like you may have gotten some of the pictures from the cd that the crew took correct?

Yes, Dominique, the head DM sold a CD at the divers party held at end of the cruise. Also we stayed and dived on Tahiti/Moorea before the cruise and I included some picutres from the Bathy's dives.

It's great to hear all of this. We leave Saturday for a week on the PG. Can't wait to get in the water -- I'm a newbie with only Puget Sound dives so far. Warm water will be wonderful! I'll post a report when we return.

Our experience on the Paul Gaugain last week (7 day cruise in the Society Islands):

First, we enjoy cruising, so we picked this because we heard it is a great cruise, not because it's a dive cruise. Second, I'm a newbie diver (18 dives). I certified because of the cruise, but got hooked on diving (but that's another story).

First the cruise -- we got spoiled by Regent on our Alaska cruise and will probably not cruise on any other line. Regent is one of the "high end" lines; you pay more (maybe), but you get what you pay for. Unlike other cruise lines, everything except excursions is covered -- you don't pay for every soda or every glass of wine. No tipping -- in fact it's not allowed. I'm not a big drinker, but I enjoy a single-malt scotch before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner -- it's very nice not to have to pull out my room card every time I ask for anything but a glass of fruit punch. When I compare what we spend on Regent with the other three cruise lines we've been on, there really isn't much difference.

The ship: Paul Gaugain is relatively small (320 passeengers max). On the larger Regent ships (about 600 passengers), you're drowned in luxury, the Gaugain is merely comfortably luxurious. The food is outstanding (you can read those opinions on the cruise boards). It is very laid back -- no jackets, ties, etc. It is just right for Tahiti; when we cruise Alaska or Europe we're looking for wildlife or learning history -- Tahiti is for relaxing; there's sun, sand, water, friendly people and not much else (and fortunately not too many tourists). My wife doesn't dive, but there were interesting tours (snorkeling with rays and small sharks), and she likes laying in the sun reading or knitting.

The dives: generally this is not a dive cruise (there are exceptions -- like last month), but they have a great program. There are several dives arranged from the ship; they also schedule dives with local operators. You can get all of your equipment from the ship (no extra charge) or bring your own. Dominique, the divemaster, goes out of his way to help arrange a busy dive schedule if you want that. As mentioned elsewhere, if you bring your own equipment, they rinse and store it for you so it's ready for the next day's diving. I'm not sure how they get everything dried out overnight, but I wish I could get my wetsuit to dry out that fast! Don't forget your C-card; they do check it before they'll sign you up for dives. I kept it with me each day, but no one (including the outside operators) checked it after that first day). I think they trust that Dominique had checked it. Dives were $90 each - about $10 more expensive than dives with the Padi operator (Top Dive).

Water was warm (78 degr) and many dove in swimsuit. I brought myt 3/2 mm full wetsuit and was glad I did. I'm not cold diving in the Puget Sound with a 7 mm wetsuit, but I found the 3 mm suit comfortable . (The ship will provide shorties). The ship has 80 cu ft aluminum cylinders (yoke only). The outside operators could accomodate by DIN reg, but I was happy I brought my yoke converter. Outside operators have Nitrox, the ship air only.

Visibility was typically 80 - 100 feet. On some days the surge from wave action was considerable; it took some getting used to. Lots of sharks (black tip and lemon), barracuda and a very friendly sea turtle, coral and lots of small tropical fish. I can list the specific sites if someone’s interested.

This has gone on long enough about generalities. Suffice it to say that I'd go back in a heartbeat. We have a lot of other parts of the world we want to see (and to dive); but I hope to get back here and would easily do it on the Paul Gaugain again.

Back
Top Bottom