Paul Gauguin Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

427Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
The Villages, FL, and Northern Wisconsin (4 months
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone considered the PADI promotion Sail the French Polynesia onboard the Paul Gauguin with Jean-Michel Cousteau Sept 2008?

I am considering this trip it sounds fantastic.

Dave
We did the PG in 2005, did some of the dives and had a great time. The PG and their dive staff are top notch - you will not be disappointed.
Nonie

Has anyone considered the PADI promotion Sail the French Polynesia onboard the Paul Gauguin with Jean-Michel Cousteau Sept 2008?

I am considering this trip it sounds fantastic.

I am going on PG in November '07 and will post a report when I return. Our cruise also will have JM Cousteau aboard.

An excellent source of info on the PG is at cruisecritic.com and the message board for Regent Seven Seas. Most cruisers are not divers, though, so it's not that easy to get information about the diving. From everything I've learned, the dive operation does not accomodate very many people, so it's important to book the ship's diving excursions early on. Apparently, outside operators can sometimes be booked. If PADI is marketing this cruise to divers, I'd want to get some assurances as to how much diving will actually be available.

I completed the French Polynesia 9/08 trip with 21 dives
Pictures at :Snapfish: Share Interstitial:Registration
Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Riaitea, Aitutaki, Huahine, Rangiroa - Tiputa Pass Drift,
Also dove, snorkled and dined with Jean-Michel/Nancy Cousteau
Saw many sharks, rasses, rays, turtles, dolphines.. only heard whales -missed seeing them..

Tahiti was the best diving I have ever dove bar none. The Paul Gauguin was awesome with the large balcony we had. Vis was incredible, sea life unbelieveable and weather just perfect. Great pictures, looks like you may have gotten some of the pictures from the cd that the crew took correct?

Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Riaitea, Aitutaki, Huahine, Rangiroa - Tiputa Pass Drift,
Saw many sharks, rasses, rays, turtles, dolphines.. only heard whales -missed seeing them..

Tahiti was the best diving I have ever dove bar none. The Paul Gauguin was awesome with the large balcony we had. Vis was incredible, sea life unbelieveable and weather just perfect. Great pictures, looks like you may have gotten some of the pictures from the cd that the crew took correct?

Couldn't not answer this one. I'm ON the PG on a two week cruise as I write this.

What a fantastic ship! We did our first dive off the PG yesterday but using an outside operator. The guide swam off leading the pack -- Lynne and I kept getting farther and farther behind -- but we were able to actually Look at things.

He had given us a 45 minute or gas limit -- we broke the surface at 44 minutes, 45 seconds. The others in our "group" asked how much air we had left and then couldn't understand why we had so much left after being down so much longer.

I don't understand why the guides want to go "deep" when the really good stuff is above 60 feet and a lot much shallower. We had a lot of fun and I was so glad to see so much fish life. This puts Maui to shame (well, a lot puts Maui to shame but THAT is another story).

A "sea day" today and then more diving tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom