Patulous Eustachian Tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed, if it IS open all the time you should not have any trouble clearing....either up or down.
I can see the 'imbalance' between ears could create issues, maybe over stressing the open ear when clearing the normal one. Or not being able to tell when to clear.

I was just diagnosed with patulous ET a few days ago. I have always had problems equalizing and a couple of years ago starting taking psuedoephedrine before every dive which has helped. I have always been careful to descend only as my ears cleared and had experienced barotrama only once (a few years ago before taking the pseudo). But last week I experienced the worst ear pain/headache I have ever experienced. Everything was normal on the dive - typically stubborn ears - but no pain during or immediately after the dive. However in the middle of the night I woke to the worst head/ear/neck pain I can ever remember having. It was definitely centered on my right eustation tube. After a couple of days of pain coming and going i saw an ENT, who scoped my ET and ears and cleared me to dive. But he said that I had Patulous ET in the right ear, and being open would make it more difficult to create the back pressure needed to equalize. And I do find it easier to clear my left ear. He also prescribed gum chewing (which I also hate) to keep loosening the ET., and doing a saline nasal rinse every day. I'm also doing a 6 week course of nasal steroids to calm down the ET which remains mildly irritated. I have done four dives since the barotrauma and doing the steroids and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom