Pattaya Vs. Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BermudaBlue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

My friend and I are both advanced open water divers looking to do our rescue and divemaster courses in Phuket (or possibly Pattaya) between January-April. I have been advised that Phuket will offer the best diving (through live aboards), however I was wondering if anyone had any experience with diving in Pattaya, or more specifically, Mermaids? They seem to be a decent center and offer a great package.

Also, I am trying to sift through all of the dive operators/ CDC Centers in Phuket. Any recommendations? I am looking at ScubaCat, Sea Fun Divers, and Dive Asia currently, trying to find a good package which includes accommodation.

My friend and I are 25-30 yr old males, looking for the total package… the best diving, a reputable operator, and good downtime/nightlife. We will be looking to spend about 2 months in Pattaya/Phuket. Thank you for any recommendations!

Thanks,

Carlos

:snorkel2:

Last edited:
I have dived with three dive centers in Thailand recently, including Mermaids (just fun diving, not courses, so my mini-report may or may not be helpful). I found Mermaids to be "the top dive center" I have experienced so far, for the following reasons:

(1) The logistics (pick up and drop off) service was excellent, very professional and well done.

(2) The dive boat was very well organized. There were designated wet areas, dry areas, white boards for dive planning, ropes to hang wet suits to dry, comfy deck chairs, well organized tanks and weights, good showers and easy to use dive entry/exit points.

(3) The dive planning and pre-dive briefings were excellent. The DM and instructor team used whiteboards and navigation charts to explain the dives, dive teams, dive objectives, objects of interest, objects to be aware of, etc. There was good team building and organization.

(4) The afternoon lunch was really quite good. We had freshly cooked Thai food on board for lunch that was "especially good" after the morning dive. Many people had two big plates of food. It was actually quite good for a dive boat.

(5) My dive guide for the day was professional, courteous, and friendly. Indeed all the folks on the dive leadership team (DMs and team leaders) were professional and good communicators.

(6) The attention to details, safety, dive plans, logistics, etc were excellent. My expectations were exceeded.

(7) As a "fun diver" for the day, I was not required or under any pressure to pay prior to the morning dive (no advanced deposit), and was not made to feel uncomfortable in any way regarding the business arrangements.

I got the impression from Mermaids that they wanted to earn both my respect and trust. They certainly accomplished that. I plan to dive more with them and hope the high level of professionalism and customer service continues. At the moment, I would not hesitate to recommend Mermaids. I have spent much more time at their shop than my "one day of diving with them" indicates and my experience has been such that they currently are at the "very top" of my list in Pattaya (at the moment).

(I hope this mini-review was helpful, sorry I have no recent diving experience in Phuket).

For me even though I live near Pattaya.
A bad days diving in the Andaman sea is worth 10 days in Pattaya. If you are in Pattaya for other reasons then yes do some diving, there are some OK dive sites. But if you want a diving holiday, forget it, go to the Phuket.

Hey Surin... Yeah, mostly due to seasonal. We are looking at going Between Jan-Mar so thought the West Coast would be best.

I have also heard from a couple of sources (perhaps unreliable!) that there is not a whole lot to do outside of the diving in Koh Tao. Given that we will be looking at about 2 months there for the DM course I thought Phuket would provide more options in terms of down time.

Hi BurmudaBlue,

I agree with you, from a fun diver perspective. There is a lot of benefit to being in an area where you have modern cinemas, shopping centers, many choices of activities, lots of nice air conditioned places to eat, and diverse neon night life, if you so choose. In that case, Phuket and Pattaya would be my top choices as well.

Another choice would be to do a day of fun dives or perhaps a specialty course with your favorite school under consideration in both Pattaya and Phuket, check out the DC and the local scenes, and then make a decision. That approach might cost you a little bit more, but you can have more experience and make an informed decision, which in the long run, may save you money.

Everyone has different requirements and priorities. If you are in the best dive location in the world and are really bored during non-diving days, then is that better than "just OK" diving and great night life? It depends on you, not us. Then again, if you are really prone to all night drinking and partying, maybe you are better to get away from the neon lights and really focus on diving and avoid late nights and alcohol?

Currently I am situated in Pattaya, but I think I will spend a few months in Phuket later this year. One of the reasons I like Pattaya is that there are a number of choices for good dive centers, there is plenty to do regardless of your lifestyle (personally, I did all the wild night life anyone could want years ago, so it is not at the top of my list anymore, hard to believe ... living in Pattaya at the moment, hahahaha, where there are more bars than anything else!).

But the main reason I like Pattaya at the moment is that my friends fly in to Bangkok airport and I can easily drive and pick them up (just an hours drive or so) and bring them to Pattaya to dive or enjoy other marine sports. Having said that, I own a car, and that makes a huge difference when you are in Thailand as well. For example, I can't drive my car to Koh Tao, so I don't think I would live there for two months. My car is what saves me from misery in the hot sun and rain. If you will not have a car, then I guess you will rent small motorcycles.

So, what others may find best for them, may not suit you at all, so try both areas and decide after you have had a taste of both.

Hey Surin... Yeah, mostly due to seasonal. We are looking at going Between Jan-Mar so thought the West Coast would be best.

I have also heard from a couple of sources (perhaps unreliable!) that there is not a whole lot to do outside of the diving in Koh Tao. Given that we will be looking at about 2 months there for the DM course I thought Phuket would provide more options in terms of down time.

Fair enough. From a seasonal perspective I think you are pretty much spot on. However, there is a great social scene on Koh Tao. I haven't been there for almost ten years so I don't know how that has changed.

Out of your two choices I would probably be more up for Phuket and with a dive school that allowed you to get out to the Similans a fair number of times.

:fro:

Funrecdiver,

You can actually bring your car to Koh Tao, from Chumpon. Not the easiest/most convenient trip over but definitely manageable. Not that I would recommend it though! Once on Koh Tao you're better off with a rental bike and leave the car in Chumpon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom