Path to tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Edward! Already found 3 BSAC clubs in Edinburgh!

@sigxbillLet me ask you what part about GUE I am not correct? I already read Jared Jablonski's book about GUE and pretty sure that I understand their way of thinking and how things are done. Yes, I will try GUE Fundamentals as I think this course will add a lot of value to me and make me a better diver.
With all due respect, just by reading a book does not make you understand the GUE/IANTD/TDI or whatever philosophy. I read already some misconceptions about GUE in your post, for example the (non) use of dive computers. Go dive with GUE divers/instructors and ask them why they decided to go with GUE and what they like and dislike about it. Imo only then you can decide if GUE style of diving suits you.

However, I have yet to meet anyone in GUE that would countenance the idea of letting someone push past their limits.
PFCAJ has suggested that this is something that GUE isn’t immune to, but I’ve never met those instructors. However he’s been around a lot more instructors for a lot longer.

I’ve missed any posts AJ made on the subject - if he was referencing divers I’d definitely agree, but like you, I haven’t had any experiences with GUE instructors supporting or pushing people past their experience or training level.

PFCAJ has suggested that this is something that GUE isn’t immune to, but I’ve never met those instructors. However he’s been around a lot more instructors for a lot longer.

Before making your mind up about GUE tech courses I’d reccomend doing fundies first. We have a strong community forming in Scotland at the moment and have an instructor based here. You’re also welcome to come out diving with us any time to see what we’re about.

I’ve missed any posts AJ made on the subject - if he was referencing divers I’d definitely agree, but like you, I haven’t had any experiences with GUE instructors supporting or pushing people past their experience or training level.
Students, for sure.

Instructors less commonly, but in my opinion it is creeping in at some levels, (cough cough ccr without taking tech 2 cough cough), and I'm aware of instructors making very poor choices in their personal diving.

In any case, one needs to be honest with themself. You can't rely on someone else to tell you when you are or are not ready. Its nice to have folks that can help you in that evaluation process, but ultimately you are in charge of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom