Path to tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Efka76

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started to dive one year ago and immediately was hooked on diving. I read a lot, did many recreational diving courses, tried to dive as much as possible. It was not easy as I am currently residing in land locked Mongolia. Despite that, I was able to dive in Boracay, Koh Tao, Puerto Galera, Red Sea (liveaboard) and Phuket. During the year I did PADI OW, AOW, 7 specialties and Rescue diver courses. During PADI courses I still had a feeling that they are very easy, not demanding. I read that Rescue course is demanding, however, for me that course was easy as well. Maybe that was due to the fact that I am quite big guy and physically strong. Accordingly, it was not big burden to tow instructor or bring him to the shore.

Many my dive friends started going tech path and took various tech courses. I decided to challenge myself and take tech courses as well. I am originally from Lithuania which is near Baltic sea. This sea is famous for its wrecks but diving conditions there are quite challenging (very low visibility, cold water, currents, deep wrecks). My ultimate goal is to dive there and see some of deeper wrecks.

I knew that instructor is the most important. Also, I like TDI philosophy towards tech diving. Accordingly, did my research on tech instructors and choose diving center which specializes in tech diving. This center is owned by one of TDI legends and is famous for its tech instructors. These instructors do not spend days in internet forum boasting how good they are. They are doing numerous tech dives (including cave and CCR diving). Few of instructors were taking a part in recent Thai boys rescue operation.

I took TDI Sidemount, AN/DP, Helitrox courses and spent 9 very long days (from 7 am to 7 pm) in doing that courses. Theory part I already completed before I arrived to dive center. My impressions were the following:

1) TDI has a very good e-learning. You can not progress to next chapter if you do not answer 100% answers correct. Courses are well structured, clearly explain concepts that diver needs to know.
2) TDI provides e-cards free of charge (PADI charges AUD 45 for each e-card).
3) I am quite strong and do not have any health issues, however, to carry 3 tanks, all equipment in full wetsuit to the beach for confined dives was not an easy task (roughly all equipment weights a bit more than 70 kg).
4) Tech diving courses were absolutely on different level.... even can not compare with any PADI recreational course. Now I know how it is hard to keep a good buoyancy in shallow waters... how it is unpleasant to close the wrong tank when you forget to open another tank, change regulator and see that there is no air :)
5) During 9 days I learned really a lot. For me it was very new to dive with 2 and then with 3 tanks, try to keep proper buoyancy, trim, to learn new propulsion techniques (especially back-kick...), got completely new skills such us changing tanks, using deco gas, using helitrox, deco diving in 45 m depth, dealing with broken BCD, regulator issues (with lost mask), etc.
6) I learned how to plan dives, how to calculate reserve gas, etc.

These courses were really challenging and I was very happy that I took them. Also, I understood that I need to dive more, master some of the skills in order to perform them not on a mediocre level, get more experience before advancing to TDI Extended range/Trimix level. Also, I have a plan to take TDI cavern and intro to cave courses but I will do that when I feel 100% comfortable that my foundational diving skills are really on advanced level. So, the year 2019 will be pure diving. Maybe will take GUE Fundamentals courses in order to polish my basic diving skills as well.

... Also, I understood that I need to dive more, master some of the skills in order to perform them not on a mediocre level, ....

Good. I am pleased you eventually learned the only important bit. Enjoy the journey, go dive, see something other than your intructor's fins.

. . .
For me it was very new to dive with 2 and then with 3 tanks, try to keep proper buoyancy, trim, to learn new propulsion techniques (especially back-kick...),
. . .
Maybe will take GUE Fundamentals courses in order to polish my basic diving skills as well.

That's a little confusing to me. You said you took AN/DP, but how can one learn decompression diving without first having mastered the "basic diving skills," including hitting and holding your stops, in horizontal trim--and being able to perform tasks while holding those stops? I have been working on this for the past couple of years, because it's my understanding that this skill (or set of related skills) is the key prerequisite for deco diving. If you in fact are able to do this--and I assume you are if you passed AN/DP--then you are likely past the GUE Fundamentals level of proficiency. I assume you know that in the GUE realm, they won't allow you take Tech 1 or Cave 1 before achieving a tech-level pass in Fundies.

That's a little confusing to me. You said you took AN/DP, but how can one learn decompression diving without first having mastered the "basic diving skills," including hitting and holding your stops, in horizontal trim--and being able to perform tasks while holding those stops? I have been working on this for the past couple of years, because it's my understanding that this skill (or set of related skills) is the key prerequisite for deco diving. If you in fact are able to do this--and I assume you are if you passed AN/DP--then you are likely past the GUE Fundamentals level of proficiency. I assume you know that in the GUE realm, they won't allow you take Tech 1 or Cave 1 before achieving a tech-level pass in Fundies.

I've witnessed at least one AN/DP diver who literally reels themselves up and dangles from their lift bag in near-vertical trim to maintain stops. That diver certainly doesn't represent the norm for that class, but they go to show it's certainly possible to get the card without diving at a GUE Fundamentals level.

I've witnessed at least one AN/DP diver who literally reels themselves up and dangles from their lift bag in near-vertical trim to maintain stops. That diver certainly doesn't represent the norm for that class, but they go to show it's certainly possible to get the card without diving at a GUE Fundamentals level.

That statement says a lot. “Get the card.” :facepalm:

I have proper buoyancy skills already, definitely not hanging in vertical position. Please do not make your own assumptions and criticize me without seeing my diving skills in person (also, if you look at my cover photo and have some thoughts about my buoyancy, you should know that this photo was taken during my PADI Discover Scuba Diving dive). My TDI training was really hard and challenging and definitely these instructors are not issuing certification cards if a person is not meeting AN/DP standards. Even in their website it is very clearly indicated that I will have to pay for the training, however, will need to EARN certification.

What I meant that buoyancy and trim skills definitely can be further improved in order to get them to such level that I would feel 100% confident to take more advanced training as even small mistakes are not forgiven when you go deeper or get involved in cave diving. Of course, for that I will need to dive more and with every dive to try to do small improvements and learn.

Why I want to get GUE Fundies training? Answer is very simple, I want to learn diving in dry suit and backmount doubles (currently all my TDI training was done in sidemount), try DIR equipment, as well as further improve my buoyancy and propulsion techniques. Yes, I know that I would need to get Fundies Tech pass in order to advance to GUE Tech 1 or GUE Cave 1. I already read Jared Jablonski's book and made my own research about GUE, its programs and requirements. However, I do not have intention to further go GUE path (except for Fundies).

I am really surprised about few people negativity in this thread. I am pretty confident that these people who criticized are not the best divers in the world and also need improvements in their skills. Especially "DIR practitioner" with 25-49 dives :)

I have proper buoyancy skills already, definitely not hanging in vertical position. Please do not make your own assumptions and criticize me without seeing my diving skills in person (also, if you look at my cover photo and have some thoughts about my buoyancy, you should know that this photo was taken during my PADI Discover Scuba Diving dive). My TDI training was really hard and challenging and definitely these instructors are not issuing certification cards if a person is not meeting AN/DP standards. Even in their website it is very clearly indicated that I will have to pay for the training, however, will need to EARN certification.

What I meant that buoyancy and trim skills definitely can be further improved in order to get them to such level that I would feel 100% confident to take more advanced training as even small mistakes are not forgiven when you go deeper or get involved in cave diving. Of course, for that I will need to dive more and with every dive to try to do small improvements and learn.

Why I want to get GUE Fundies training? Answer is very simple, I want to learn diving in dry suit and backmount doubles (currently all my TDI training was done in sidemount), try DIR equipment, as well as further improve my buoyancy and propulsion techniques. Yes, I know that I would need to get Fundies Tech pass in order to advance to GUE Tech 1 or GUE Cave 1. I already read Jared Jablonski's book and made my own research about GUE, its programs and requirements. However, I do not have intention to further go GUE path (except for Fundies).

I am really surprised about few people negativity in this thread. I am pretty confident that these people who criticized are not the best divers in the world and also need improvements in their skills. Especially "DIR practitioner" with 25-49 dives :)

I didn't mean to imply you were as bad as the diver I referenced; I was only trying to say that it is certainly possible to be an AN/DP diver and still have something to gain from working on fundamental skills—something I thought we were in agreement on as you seemed to express interest in doing that. Sorry if it appeared to be a personal attack.

I didn't mean to criticize you in particular; I was only trying to say that it is certainly possible to be an AN/DP diver and still have something to gain from working on fundamental skills—something I thought we were in agreement on as you seemed to express interest in doing that. Sorry if it appeared to be a personal attack.

No problem, I have approach in life that person always needs to learn. Does not matter how good you are, always there are new things to be learned or improved.

Assuming you're replying to my comments, please understanding I asked you some questions and didn't make any assumptions other than that "I assume you [possess Fundies-level skills] if you passed AN/DP."

Why I want to get GUE Fundies training? Answer is very simple, I want to learn diving in dry suit and backmount doubles (currently all my TDI training was done in sidemount), try DIR equipment, as well as further improve my buoyancy and propulsion techniques.

I would never try to discourage anyone from taking Fundies, even a diver with decades of tech experience whose skills are comfortably above the Fundies tech pass threshold. (There's a cave diver/instructor on SB who recently did just that.) However, it's an expensive way to learn dry suit and backmount doubles and improve one's frog kick, etc. Any good tech instructor can teach the physical skills. For someone who is already diving at a tech skill level, I would say take Fundies if you want to learn how to dive in accordance with the GUE system (still referred to by others as DIR).

As a practical matter, the big question that I have long pondered--well, at least in the four years since I began heading down the GUE path--is what level of performance does one truly need as a prerequisite for safe deco or cave training? I know there are some experienced tech divers on SB who would say that GUE's threshold is NOT higher than necessary but rather about right. TDI doesn't seem to have a well-defined threshold but rather leaves it up to the individual instructors, some of whom seem happy to teach deco procedures to people who cannot hold a 20 foot stop while switching to a deco tank, which is a bit disconcerting to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom