Patching a hole in an Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba1456

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a very old housing box from Ikelite. I am re-purposing it. But it has a gland hole in it i dont need.

What would you all recommend to patch the hole woth. I dont want not can I afford the space to just screw a blank plug in the hole.

I was thinking expoy of some sort but I am not sure. it needs to make it to like 130 feet or so with out a leak.

I have a very old housing box from Ikelite. I am re-purposing it. But it has a gland hole in it i dont need.

What would you all recommend to patch the hole woth. I dont want not can I afford the space to just screw a blank plug in the hole.

I was thinking expoy of some sort but I am not sure. it needs to make it to like 130 feet or so with out a leak.

Put a bolt in it of the proper thread with black silicone... Do not use epoxy like the one at Wal Mart or whater because that is not waterproof. You really need something that will fill most of the hole and then use a sealer around whatever "plug" you use.

I try to thread it and put a bolt with an oring and silicone.

Post a pic of the hole so as we can make any recommendation.
Perhaps an acrylic plug glued with cyanoacrylate adhesive, from the outside, so as the external pressure pushes to the glue.

After doing this, dive with the case to the rated depth without a camera inside and a blue tissue, so as to see if there is any leak.

thanks for posting. a bolt head is going to cause me issues with space. this thing fits in a really tight space on an ROV i am building. its a small battery box for on board camera. the stupid hole is in the lid and I have just enough room to pop the latches and open the box to reach in and grab the charger leads. with anything more that a few mm thick added to the box and it wont open. I already will have to disassemble half the unit if I ever need to replace tha battery. I know bad design but I am working with what I have and this camera was a after thought.

I like the acrylic plug idea. oh and yes I will both test the case in my pressure tester and on an acutal dive and most likley with an anchor test to about 300 ft before i risk installing it.

Thanks again.

Could you post a photo?
I have a pretty good idea what you're working with and though it would be nearly impossible for me to describe, I'm pretty sure I can fix that using acryllic.

thanks for posting. a bolt head is going to cause me issues with space. this thing fits in a really tight space on an ROV i am building. its a small battery box for on board camera. the stupid hole is in the lid and I have just enough room to pop the latches and open the box to reach in and grab the charger leads. with anything more that a few mm thick added to the box and it wont open. I already will have to disassemble half the unit if I ever need to replace tha battery. I know bad design but I am working with what I have and this camera was a after thought.

I like the acrylic plug idea. oh and yes I will both test the case in my pressure tester and on an acutal dive and most likley with an anchor test to about 300 ft before i risk installing it.

Thanks again.

Have the bolt head machined down to almost flat. I don't know about gluing flat pieces of stuff on there. Water may eventually migrate through the glue. If you try this make sure you use a real underwater glue.

If you want, tell me the proper size thread and I can try to machine the head of a bolt down for you. How much space do you have?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom