Passive vs Active Impact; part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My BDB Jeannie requested some pictures from our last two dives before her return to Alaska. I could have just sent them in an email, but what would be the fun in that?

The second was Honolua Bay, where the hump and grunt from car to sea is equal to the surface swim to the start of the dive, and our surface swim back from ascending took more effort than the weary trudge back to the car.

There were two tourist couples diving Honolua, but my dual Ike SS200/Nikonus V camera gave us a wide berth and sideways glances. Since I was shooting chrome film, that roll has not been processed yet, but the trusty 5050 was along for these web easy images.

Manipulation.jpg

TheChase.jpg

TheChaseCont.jpg

TimeToGo.jpg

I had not dove Honolua Bay in nearly 3 years. We only dove the North side, which is the big wave impact zone during the winter surf. For one of only two coastal protected waters off Maui, there is a lot of dead coral! Marine protection is weak when it's surrounded by pineapple fields.

That dive was really a test dive for the dual strobe Nikonus rig, but the chrome film has not been developed yet (and I'm not holding my breath). Luckily my camera caddy let me take these shots after burning up all the film. Good thing we had this specticle to end our dive; the tumor covered turtles were hanging in ugly backgrounds and the manta ray took one quick look and bolted.

Unlike part 1, I actively impacted the events; first carrying the triton away from easy human discovery, then placing it next to the crown of thorns I was surprised to find and finally setting a camera down on the algae covered bottom (COT fence). Obviously the caddy could have held the Nikonus but invasive plants are not high on my protection list.

Awesome pictures, color me green with envy! It's been weeks since I've gotten in the water here in Hilo, and seeing these photos just makes me even more antsy to dive!

Thanks for sharing them.

that's interesting coral in the background of the last pic, looks just like a camera :D

Hey buddy it sort of looks like a sea creature(the camera). Again cool shots . You seem to know your way around an underwater camera. the coral looks not too bad. Can't wait to go again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom