Passed my DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The are is McAbee Beach in Monterey, CA.

Very cool map, man.

Greg:coffee:

You don't get a map. YOU create it. That is what the exercise is for. Mine took me about 25 dives with compass, slate, my dive comp, a reel, and patience. I can now dive that section of the lake for the most part just using a depth guage and compass. Don't need anything else. If you are not intimately familiar with the site when your map is done you didn't work hard enough on it or put enough time into it. I'll let any diver use mine for that site with confidence that they will be ok. Any diver that is EXCEPT DM CANDIDATES! Do your own work.

JimLap...don't blow a gasket dude. I'm asking for ideas on how to CREATE the map...not have one given to me.

I have dove the site about 10 times along, with three of my fellow candidates and we know the are fairly well. I wanted to get some ideas on what a "good" map looks like.

Perhaps a little "patience" is needed here, as you claim to have. You say your a professional...where is your professional courtesy?

Greg:confused:

You say you passed your DM, I take it your instructor accepted your current map and is just giving you constructive advice for your personal benefit. Correct?

ReefHound...yes my instructor is passing my current map, but would like me to give more detail and work on improving the data included. Specifically the compass headings and triangulation.

Greg

In my opinion, and based on my instructor's guidance, the purpose of the map is to allow a qualified diver to safely dive the site and enhance the dive. To do that, it doesn't have to be elaborate or complex, certainly not a 3D topographic model. My map "project" was basically an 8 page report that included an overall site map and a dive map. There was an overview description of the dive site, directions to get there, a listing of facilities available, and an emergency action plan. The site map showed the overall layout, where topside facilities were located (checkin, air fills, parking, piers, restrooms, gear tables).

The dive map showed location of major attractions (with distance and bearings between them and points on shore), and some contour lines. This site is shallow so I used 5' increments for contour lines and their locations are approximate. A deeper site may call for larger increments. The point here is to give a diver an idea of relative depths and significant contours like walls and dropoffs. It is not a geological survey. A diver doesn't need to know if a point is really 13' or 15' or 17', call it 15' and that's good enough.

For distances I used kick cycles then converted to feet based on my personal kick cycle. For consistency I measured to estimated "center" of attraction which means a diver will usually reach the item before going the stated distance. Distances are not critical since a diver on the right bearing will eventually hit the target. I converted my kick cycles and rounded to 5' which is far more precision than necessary.

For bearings I tried to determine it to a few degrees, the longer the distance the more accurate the bearing needs to be. The point here is that a diver should be able to navigate from point to point using your bearings and distances. Bearings are the most critical element. The margin for error depends on the distance and the visibility, for long distances or murky water you need to be spot on. In some cases, I swam back and forth many times refining the bearing to the nearest degree or two.

Great job!

Hey welcome to the club!

Cheers.

-J.-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom