Parts - SL960D - mounting bracket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings!

Someone sat on my camera during this morning's dives. They cracked the mounting bracket (plastic) That holds the digital flash and the camera.

I have searched SeaLife and distributors for replacement parts (in this case, just the one part) and cannot find a replacement.

SeaLife, can you help me?

Thanks!

Which strobe do you have? SL960/960D or SL961? We have a spare part that is the flash arm and base assembly. Your local dealer can order this through us if they don't have it in stock. It is part number SL9601 (if you are using the SL960 or SL960D strobe) or part number SL9602 (if you are using the SL961 strobe)

SL960D. Thanks, Denise

Can I order it through SeaLife, or must I go through a local dealer?

Hi again Denise,

OK, I have checked with two SeaLife dealers (Including Divers Direct).

Both tell me I have to order the plate and the arm at $60 :shocked2:

This is a piece of plastic and I don't need the arm!

Graphic1.jpg

Stress fractures at the arrows indicated. I have tried JB Weld and Super Glue. Neither held for more than a couple of minutes. The piece simply "flops" around

It doesn't matter which flash I have. This plastic plate is the same on SL960, SL960D and SL961. I know this because I received the SL961 as a gift, and it is an exact match with my SL960D plate.

I cannot see a need for this to be a $60 replacement! :depressed:

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I didn't receive the nice flash mount shown in the picture of every SL961 flash setup I've seen on the Internet. Is that something extra? I can't seem to find it on any web site (including SeaLife's site), and the shops I checked had no idea what I was talking about (The piece perpendicular there in the middle of the plate)

Last edited:
The dive shops you spoke to are correct. The plate is attached to the arm, so you need the whole unit. The plate does not come as a seperate piece. The top of the arm is different on the SL961 than the SL960 and SL960 because the flash head is a completely different shape.

The flash mount you are referring to is actually a deflector - it's for the ReefMaster Mini camera. Each camera comes with the deflector piece needed for any external strobe.

The dive shops you spoke to are correct. The plate is attached to the arm, so you need the whole unit. The plate does not come as a seperate piece.
$60 when all I need is a $1.00 piece of plastic? That is absolutely rediculous!

If that's the case, I think I will tool my own solution for this issue, and remember that when it comes around to underwater photography purchases in the future :depressed:

Hi again Denise,

OK, I have checked with two SeaLife dealers (Including Divers Direct).

Both tell me I have to order the plate and the arm at $60 :shocked2:

This is a piece of plastic and I don't need the arm!

Stress fractures at the arrows indicated. I have tried JB Weld and Super Glue. Neither held for more than a couple of minutes. The piece simply "flops" around

It doesn't matter which flash I have. This plastic plate is the same on SL960, SL960D and SL961. I know this because I received the SL961 as a gift, and it is an exact match with my SL960D plate.

I cannot see a need for this to be a $60 replacement! :depressed:

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I didn't receive the nice flash mount shown in the picture of every SL961 flash setup I've seen on the Internet. Is that something extra? I can't seem to find it on any web site (including SeaLife's site), and the shops I checked had no idea what I was talking about (The piece perpendicular there in the middle of the plate)

It's like John Deere parts: only one supplier. :eyebrow:

My DC310 and 960 External flash used that deflector (reflector) to trigger the Ext flash with the internal flash but my for DC500, the part was removed when the kit was fitted with the flash link. I don't remember who fitted that for me?

Here is your 960 Arm & Base for $74 Flash Arm & Base Sl960 / Sl960d

Here's a used 960 selling on Ebay Sea Life Underwater Strobe Flash Scuba (No Reserve!!!) - eBay (item 160288763940 end time Oct-06-08 06:58:48 PDT)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom