parts for life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
i purchased some scubapro gear (regs, BC, semidry) back in 09, 6 yrs ago.
i have had my reg's serviced yearly and am on the "parts for life" program.
i am changing dive shops, both are reputable, but all of my dive buddies use the one i'm moving to.

my question is, how does the parts for life follow me to the new shop?
how does the new shop know that i am on this program?
thank you

You have to have the cards that came with the regulators & BC & the shop may have to run some calls to SP. You should be in SP's data base, so a call can confirm & change the "home" LDS. SP discontinued the "part for life" about 3 yrs ago.

I changed from one Scubapro LDS to another for servicing without having to do anything last February. Your equipment is registered with Scubapro. Your new servicer will log on and confirm the serial numbers.

SP changed the servicing requirements from every year to every other year (or 100 dives) three years ago. Also the new parts for life program requires that you purchase a full set of gear all at once so you cannot purchase a new regulator and get free parts for life now. Your old equipment is still covered as long as you keep the servicing up to date.

Just make sure that since it is an "older" reg that they have officially moved him onto the new contract that requires servicing every other year. I don't have any experience with Scubapro, but can easily see them thinking that new regulators that have been purchased as part of the package get 2 year service intervals, all older models still need service every year as that was their original "contract".

How much does your LDS charge for service? It is usually cheaper to get gear serviced every 2-3 years rather than every year.

i paid $100 for service, 75 for 1st stage and primary, 25 for octo (air 2)
not sure what the parts are worth if i were to delay servicing
i usually do around 100 dives per year

As long as the shop your using has you entered in the SP system, which they should if they are getting replacement parts for your reg, then any SP shop will be able to look you up.

At 100 plus dives a year I recommend yearly service, and depending on what those dives are sometimes sooner.

Just make sure that since it is an "older" reg that they have officially moved him onto the new contract that requires servicing every other year. I don't have any experience with Scubapro, but can easily see them thinking that new regulators that have been purchased as part of the package get 2 year service intervals, all older models still need service every year as that was their original "contract".

Ridiculous....you have no experience dealing with a company, yet you want to make up some bs scenario? You don't think they have a way to track what was purchased and when? Come on, man. It's not 1969!

They track regs by serial number in their database, which links when they were bought and last serviced (etc). My older SP regs are still under PFL and I do service them yearly, as they get 200+ dives a year, but I could do them every two now and still keep the PFL. I didn't have do check with SP or do anything like that at all.

When I purchased my regs they had to be serviced every year to keep the parts for life warranty. It's my understanding that now this policy changed (even on the older regs that were purchased under the annual service agreement in 2009) and they now need to be serviced every 100 dives or two years. If serviced every two years the Parts for life warranty stays active. Can a Scubapro rep please confirm this? Thanks.

Please call the "new" shop and have them verify your gear is, indeed, entered in SP's database. We've had a few that had been regularly serviced but, somehow, didn't show up when we checked. Fixing that isn't easy and takes some time. It can be done, but it ain't no fun.

Back
Top Bottom