Parts 101 help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony Atomic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

So, I'm new to Vintage Diving and DIY scuba projects all together. I am trying to rebuild some old regulators and I don't know what the name of some of the parts are. I'm going to rebuild a 109 with an MK1, then later on a 108 with an MK3. I want to do the balanced conversion for the 109 and have read that I need to chance the poppet and lo and behold, I don't even know what a poppet is. Now, I understand that this probably makes me an unlikely candidate for working on my own gear, but bare with me. I have rebuild motorcycles, antique kitchen appliances, and done quite a few DIY projects, so I'm not completely lost (but darn close!). So, with that, can you guys help me identify these parts. I took my 109 apart and just need to know what I'm looking at. I can guess and most of it, but I just want to be certain of my terminology before I get too far. I am going to get the service kit for the 156, and will look for the parts I need for the conversion. Thanks for a great forum and hours of entertainment!

IMG_0390.jpg

I like the way you laid the parts out with a clear photo and numbers. I'm looking forward to learning something from this thread, so thank you for starting it! I have not bought the two usually-recommended books yet, but I would like to at some point.

So far, I think #8 is the diaphragm, and #4 must be the cover/face plate. As you can see I do have a bit to learn :)

If you go to Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose
At the top there is a link to “Manuals & Catalogs”.
After you click there, then click “continue”.

You will then find a list with many manuals and catalogs.
What you need is under “Scubapro schematics and parts list”

You will find the vintage Scubapro schematics marked –up with generic O-rings.

Have fun.

And, if you do that, this is more or less what you will find:

Picture4-1.jpg

Of course the link you get is MUCH clearer :D

If you go to Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose
At the top there is a link to “Manuals & Catalogs”.
After you click there, then click “continue”.

You will then find a list with many manuals and catalogs.
What you need is under “Scubapro schematics and parts list”

You will find the vintage Scubapro schematics marked –up with generic O-rings.

Have fun.

Awesome, thank you!

I went to my LDS to see if they had any of the parts I need. I was told that they only supply parts to certified SP technicians. I couldn't even get the exhaust valve. Thank heaven for VDH.

Beware your item #6, "poppet" has a non-replaceable seat. You need to source a "duro poppet", SP part #11-200-105, or the complete assembly duro poppet + seat, part #11-200-014. Not easy to come by.

I'm thinking of just rebuilding it the way it is for now an not doing the balanced part just yet, which I can use the other service kit (the $5 version) although I guess I need a new poppet for a new seat. Anyone have a poppet they'd be okay parting with?

I believe the current G200/109 kit includes the new duro poppet. They do show up with some regularity on ebay. If you are in a hurry, I suggest you communicate with the ebay sellers who are selling the newest parts kits and see if they can help.

Back
Top Bottom