Partial Pressure of Oxygen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Commercial Divers routinely every day on this planet go thru chamber runs of 100% O2 at 2.25 And actually go up to 2.82 and are still OK. These guys are motionless in the chamber though.

Right, they are motionless. And something I've learned not long ago, they are given meds for better O2 tolerance.

And like Rick said "Note that in a chamber where higher PO2's are routinely used, an occasional O2 hit is no big deal, but underwater it is almost always fatal"

Anyone here that had experienced convulsions underwater?

getwet once bubbled...

Right, they are motionless. And something I've learned not long ago, they are given meds for better O2 tolerance.

And like Rick said "Note that in a chamber where higher PO2's are routinely used, an occasional O2 hit is no big deal, but underwater it is almost always fatal"

Anyone here that had experienced convulsions underwater?

The meds are incorrect. However; I'm sure some chambers and companies require the meds but not all of them take the meds by any means. Sounds like they all should though. I would like to learn more about the meds your talking about.

An O2 hit in a chamber is a very serious matter. I can't believe someone thinking it was not. However I know and 100% agree that a hit underwater is almost always fatal.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

The meds are incorrect. However; I'm sure some chambers and companies require the meds but not all of them take the meds by any means. Sounds like they all should though. I would like to learn more about the meds your talking about.

An O2 hit in a chamber is a very serious matter. I can't believe someone thinking it was not. However I know and 100% agree that a hit underwater is almost always fatal.

Oh no no. Cincy, you are completely right! It DID sound like all should take those meds. I'm sorry I've brought this confussion here (... English is not my language :rolleyes: )
There are some people with neurological alterations that have a higher sensitivity to hyperbaric oxygen. In these cases they evaluate the risks / benefits and they are medicated if needed.

And I completely agree with you, an O2 hit in a chamber IS a very serious matter. I only meant that a hit underwater is EVEN MORE serious!!

sounds good

The only stupid question is the one not asked...

As stated, partial pressures vary between individuals, and worse yet, these individuals react to o2 partial pressures differently on different days. In the GUE Tech manual, this is something covered in good detail with examples of the individual variances as well as the reactions on various days of testing.

The short answer to the long question is that the studies have shown that a working partial pressure of greater than 1.4 places the diver at an enormously larger risk. Resting partial pressures of greather than 1.6 equally place the diver at enormous risk. There is little benefit from small changes in oxygen percentages, so it is best to stick with the guidelines and recommended parital pressures, and err on the side of conservatism. I agree with the GUE recommendation to hold a PP02 of 1.3 for work and 1.6 for deco.

This does not matter whether it is tech or rec. Oxygen does not know the difference, nor does the body

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom