partial pressure of O2 & altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deco,

It's not THAT unusual. :wink: I did some undergrad research at Greenbank NRAO while attending Virginia Tech -- and I dived quite a bit off the coast of North Carolina on the weekends. Does that count?

Boy, we're a bunch of nerds, aren't we? :)

- Warren

I was a Green Bank kid too, in 1995, I think (Warren wasn't there, but another guy from Virginia tech was, Chris). Would you believe my bike got stolen? (Green Bank has about 35 people in it, aside from the 40 or so observatory folks, no one locks anything).

Nerds do seem to make the best divers! :)

Another altitude question-- has anyone noticed they need more weight at altitude? I figure it's due to the air bubbles in the neoprene expanding. I've thought about taking my suit down (off of me) with weights and finding how much weight it needs at different depths to be neutral, then you could model the amount of weight needed at different altitudes..how's that for nerdy?

-Katrina

Nerdy, maybe - - - but very practical!

:doctor:

Sorry for being so late on this post. It's a good altitude question, often missunderstood. I got lost myself in the answers. I think most did not consider Boyle's Law. In one example where the surface pressure is .5 atm it would be true that pressure would double at 17ffw. However let's not forget the law. At 34ffw pressure and density would be 3x absolute, another 17ffw would be 4x and so on every 17ffw. It is not barely the first 17 ft and then 34ffw for every atm.
This is only one reason why ascents are slower through out the whole water column to the surface, not just in the last 17 ft.

Back
Top Bottom