Paralenz Vaquita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In three years experience with Mk1 rubbish, and again after one or two replacements, two or three repairs back to Denmark it sits broken again in a draw luckily they sent it back broken as they also sent it back with a loose lens ring.

So broken but not flooded, I am too tired to deal with these smart arses

Wouldn't have one for free!

Yeah I have heard a fair share of bad stories about first model along with having some friends that had issues with them as well and ended up doing the same thing you did. Thanks for the further insight.

I already got the GoPro, just looking for a housing but was maybe hoping the new Vaquita would be better but sounds like still has room for improvement.

After hearing more stories like this makes be think GoPro is the route to go down.

If only you could stuff the gopro in a toilet roll tube

I've seriously been looking the past few days for a 100 dollar package to strap to my shoulder

Maybe two fifty dollar ones, one for the shoulder and one for the chest just to use them for my record

To counter balance the negative reports, I have to say I am satisfied with the first model.
Easy to operate, easy to switch between dcc and wb.
I agree that the app sucks (never really tried to find the way out) and that sometimes the dcc gives strange results but there are two dcc options and I am not at all commited to improve my low level camera's skills:)
For me it is a no nonsense small easy to operate gadget:):)

What mode were you in? I’ve been watching some YouTube videos and it says at 4K the battery life drains rather quickly. The reviewer said he was getting about an hour. However in 1080 he was getting well over an hour and close to two hours. He said 720 was roughly 3 hours.

I usually do as a recreational diver 2 tanks and video a little, then shut off and then rinse and repeat. On my GoPro, I can go a long time doing it this way. I will primarily be using 1080 but will experiment with 4K just to compare the 2, post video.

Glenn

I just checked (had to recharge the camera since it has been sitting in a drawer) and it was set to 4K/30fps.

I'm hoping to dive the Yukon in San Diego tomorrow so I just updated the firmware and will re-format the card and start from scratch. I'll bring the Vaquita instead of my GoPro and attach it to my camera housing and see how the video turns out.

- brett

have you found water on the inside of the pull back ring?
Yes, Vaquita recently died shortly into the second dive of the day. I assumed it was a low battery however when I got home and removed the pull back ring there was water inside it and the camera is inoperable. Will not charge or turn on.

have you found water on the inside of the pull back ring?
Just returned from diving Roatan and Cozumel. Took my Vaquita G2 on all the dives. Camera performed flawlessly! I also noted some slight moisture on the inside of the back cap after almost every dive I use the camera on. I'm diving in humid locations and believe the moisture is condensation produced. I dry the cap inside and leave the uncovered camera body to air dry and have not had any problems with the Vaquita G2. Also, I use this camera with the trigger hand grip and get very steady video results. I've also gotten sharp images down to about 20 cm.

Yes, Vaquita recently died shortly into the second dive of the day. I assumed it was a low battery however when I got home and removed the pull back ring there was water inside it and the camera is inoperable. Will not charge or turn on.
Sorry to hear this happened to another Vaquita user. Before taking the camera underwater, I checked the three O-rings in the back cap and lightly lubricated them with silicon grease before carefully reinstalling. Note that reinstalling these O-rings is somewhat difficult and care must be used to insure the O-rings aren't twisted during reinstallation. Also, care must be used to avoid applying too much silicone grease which can attract grit which could compromise the watertight seal. I've used this camera on over 10 dives so far and haven't had a single issue to date.

How's the battery life with the Vaquita? I heard that the marketing claims don't correlate to actual use by users, it is much shorter than claimed by Paralenz.
This is an interesting topic. These cameras store an incredible amount of data, in addition to keeping time. If not using this camera at least twice monthly, I make a point of recharging the camera at least every three weeks or so, and definitely before I intend on using it. I've used Go-Pro cameras in a U/W case and find their battery life is well short of the Vaquita G2. The Vaquita G2 battery takes a while to recharge, but it's a small price to pay for the big benefit it provides. These cameras provide an incredible amount of data besides video and stills, and would be an excellent tool for marine biologists and other scientists. Way overkill for a recreational diver, but given the cost of a Go-Pro plus accessories, filters, etc. This camera is IMHO well-worth the cost.

My Gen2 Vaquita on some reef recently.

Curacao T&R pic 2 sm.jpg

credit: Turtle & Ray Productions

I also just bought the trigger assembly for it. Anyone using that and any ideas tips?

Glenn
I’ve been using the handgrip assembly on a Vaquita Gen 2 and find the hand grip a significant improvement. I still have to use care in insuring the camera is not recording when I let go of the grip. Otherwise, it records really strange perspectives, lol. Mounting the handgrip to the camera takes some patience. I’m inclined to leave the handgrip mounted to the camera due to the difficulty disconnecting it (also to reduce wear and tear of the grip ‘parts’).

Back
Top Bottom