Paralenz Vaquita

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn Williams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All:
I just pulled the trigger and am buying the Paralenz Vaquita. I’ve heard there are issues with stabilization, white balance and jittery video at 240 FPS.

Any of you out there have real world experience and not just talk?

Looking for links to videos and explanation of the issues, if any.

I have several GoPro cameras and although they work ok I’m tired of having to use a red filter to get color in the shot then post editing. In my case stabilization is not really a concern as I’m just wanting to video recreationally to remember the dive. Battery life for me is not really a concern either as I won’t be video constantly in 4K, I’m ok with 1080 and 60 or 120 FPS.

Anyway just looking for real world video, not a marketing video. On how your using it with overlay etc.

Thanks
Glenn

There was a discussion thread on Wetpixel a little while ago (using a Paralenz Vaquita?) and I posted a sample picture. I haven't spent enough "real" time with my Vaquita, but the problem I had was that images were blurry. I believe it was due to two reasons: image stabilization issues (they had just added it with the firmware I was using) and low shutter speeds.

The white balance was good. I haven't done much in the way of video with the Vaquita yet.

I've had the original Paralenz for years and it went through some growing pains (for sure) with both hardware and software. I'm relatively certain that they will work out the kinks with the Vaquita, just not sure how long it will take.

- brett

I don't have enough "hard data" to say for sure, but I will tell you that it didn't seem great. Quite a few of my dives are deep and so my bottom time is typically 20-25 minutes and during that interval, I would notice significant battery drain. But, again, I've only taken the Vaquita on a couple deeper dives and don't have hard data. I've decided to continue using my GoPro and give it 3-6 months for the firmware issues to be resolved before I start testing again.

I don't have enough "hard data" to say for sure, but I will tell you that it didn't seem great. Quite a few of my dives are deep and so my bottom time is typically 20-25 minutes and during that interval, I would notice significant battery drain. But, again, I've only taken the Vaquita on a couple deeper dives and don't have hard data. I've decided to continue using my GoPro and give it 3-6 months for the firmware issues to be resolved before I start testing again.
What mode were you in? I’ve been watching some YouTube videos and it says at 4K the battery life drains rather quickly. The reviewer said he was getting about an hour. However in 1080 he was getting well over an hour and close to two hours. He said 720 was roughly 3 hours.

I usually do as a recreational diver 2 tanks and video a little, then shut off and then rinse and repeat. On my GoPro, I can go a long time doing it this way. I will primarily be using 1080 but will experiment with 4K just to compare the 2, post video.

Glenn

Just curious how is the quality of the video when you try and to close ups (not macro) just a kind of general close up. I have heard some mixed review about the focus being poor

I am right in the middle of trying to decide between Gopro w/ housing or Paralenz. And like you also looking for use for deep diving also. Not looking to make fancy videos just for personal memory but would like them to still be fairly good quality.

In three years experience with Mk1 rubbish, and again after one or two replacements, two or three repairs back to Denmark it sits broken again in a draw luckily they sent it back broken as they also sent it back with a loose lens ring.

So broken but not flooded, I am too tired to deal with these smart arses

Wouldn't have one for free!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom