Paralenz has filed for bankruptcy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all, I just came across this thread and thought you'd find this interesting. We have teamed up with the US Distributor at Paralenz to help support those who have already purchased a camera in the US. We also bought their remaining stock, and are selling them with a FULL WARRANTY! You can learn more here...

I bought a Vaquita for my wife just a couple of weeks before the bankruptcy. It seemed interesting tech, and since my wife was going to do some snorkeling with cetaceans in the arctic, the Vaquita’s cold water claims seemed to make it a good option.

Well, it was next to impossible to get the end cap off and back on on ours. It’s a somewhat odd/awkward design to begin with, especially since you have to take the cap off for every charge. After lots of trying we concluded that the housing and cap, at least on our batch of Vaquitas, had simply been machined too tight.

And, of course, when I tried to contact Paralenz… no more company or site. So we got a couple more GoPro 11 Black, and wrote the Vaquita off. But I couldn’t leave it at that. So I re-machined the housing to very slightly reduce the diameter, and now the cap goes on and off with reasonable effort. And while I was at it, I removed the upper horn on the handgrip, as that made it impossible to get a good grip on the end cap.

CA1A7BF2-364A-41E1-BD21-B1C0656B03BA.jpeg

I bought a Vaquita for my wife just a couple of weeks before the bankruptcy. It seemed interesting tech, and since my wife was going to do some snorkeling with cetaceans in the arctic, the Vaquita’s cold water claims seemed to make it a good option.

Well, it was next to impossible to get the end cap off and back on on ours. It’s a somewhat odd/awkward design to begin with, especially since you have to take the cap off for every charge. After lots of trying we concluded that the housing and cap, at least on our batch of Vaquitas, had simply been machined too tight.

And, of course, when I tried to contact Paralenz… no more company or site. So we got a couple more GoPro 11 Black, and wrote the Vaquita off. But I couldn’t leave it at that. So I re-machined the housing to very slightly reduce the diameter, and now the cap goes on and off with reasonable effort. And while I was at it, I removed the upper horn on the handgrip, as that made it impossible to get a good grip on the end cap.

View attachment 755535

If you purchased it in the US, call us and we can help get you in touch with the US Service center. Seems you have it taken care of, but there is support still for those that purchased in the US

It would be a pity if the whole tech just disappeared.

I've a "Paralenz", not the Vaquita. The great thing about it is it's relatively compact and sits on a ball mount on my torch. It's survived many hundreds of dives down to 75m/250ft without leaking, so if it survives my rough handling, it's a good design! Have flooded three GoPros (inc. knock-off Chinese crap).

Would be nice if someone could buy the IP from the administrators and start again. OK, massive assumptions that it's a cost-effective system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom