Panicked, afraid it will happen again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also did not read ALL of the posts, but saw some great recommendations. I tend to get dry mouth as well, and have found that a small dab of toothpaste just before entry can help and sometimes I will just pull my reg out and put it back in and that small amount of moisture helps (Mmmmm, saltwater & fish poop :confused:). I also sometimes get the opposite, thick heavy saliva and a post nasal drip too thick to swallow that creates a tickle/itch in the back of my throat that causes me to want to cough (happens in planes and building with heavy recirculated dry air too. I live in Colorado so pretty much all air here is dry). Coughing in your regulator is weird, especially the first time, but I've done it many times without any major issues and have passed the problem (spitting underwater has it's own challenges, face upward!) I've avoided the hard candy or cough drops as a solution to dry mouth because if the need to cough arises I feel like the potential to choke on one of them increases greatly. Then we have an entirely other problem. Hopefully the OP has resolved the issue and has continued diving with success. Cheers!

I’ve had some dark narcs and anxiety underwater. One panic attack. Not helped by inattentive buddy on a rebreather deeper than me.

But I would seriously - as some others have said - think seriously whether diving is for you.

You simply cannot pull your reg out and bail underwater to the surface. It didn’t kill you this time but if your response to panic - irrespective of cause - can’t be managed, you’re asking for a wheelchair at best.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but you have to be able to manage stuff without pulling your reg out and bolting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom