Panic!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent advice from everyone - even you, Walter. (Just kidding)

Assuming the person wants to learn (and is not being pushed to do it), there are several key spots in training that some people will have difficulty with. Most of the time, assuming the equipment is working correctly, this just takes a little time and getting comfortable.

Anyone that has taught for a while has seen this, I'll bet Walter has seen hundreds. Most will get over it with a little practice, a few will not.

I've noticed that some people are initially bothered by the individual regulator design and everything from the mech. nature of the breathing to the sound of the bubbles. Only time I have seen people not get over this is when they really did not want to do it in the first place, but I have been told, every so often, that is not the case.

Puffer Fish:
Anyone that has taught for a while has seen this, I'll bet Walter has seen hundreds.

Seen hundreds? Hell, I experienced it hundreds (OK, maybe not hundreds) of times in my OW class. If I had been in a typical class, I never would've made it.

I agree with the great advice given here. Remember, none of us was born to breathe underwater and our body knows that. It can scream "drowning" at us at first. For many it people it can cause severe distress when trying to breathe with their face in the water. This is a normal response but we can learn, with time and patience that it is something we can do comfortably and safely with a regulator. It just takes a bit more time and effort for some people.
I second the opinions suggesting finding someone who will work with her and give her some time to learn and relax. We have people stand in the shallow end of the pool and just put their faces in and breathe at first so all they need to do is pick their heads up. They breathe normally, take little breaths, breathe fast etc to see that the reg will deliver whatever they need. Once they see that then we drop down to knees again in the shallow end. Regardless, some people need more time and help at first. Usually once they get over it they are good to go.
Next obstacle is usually flooded mask or mask remove and replace. :wink:
Again, patience and instructors who will work with you are important. If yours will not, time to see who will.
True, not everyone is meant to dive but I don't think it is time to give up until someone works with her. that is unless she has called it quits but doubt you would be asking here if that were the case.
Do not let your instructor scare you! Talk to him/her & explain your concerns. If you can't work with them, look elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom